• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I messed up. Twice

Stanlee

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have a 5 month old beardie and just the other day my girlfriend forgot to turn on his light in the morning. So his light didn’t turn on until 3pm and then two days later now I forgot to to turn Off his light. And it’s been on all night. I feel absolutely terrible I don’t know what to do I’m freaking out I don’t know if I’ve hurt him or not. Should I just leave the light on cause it’s about the time I usually turn it on. I’m concerned . Btw yes I know there are timers and I’m obviously buying one today! Just need to know what to do or if damage is done

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I have a 5 month old beardie and just the other day my girlfriend forgot to turn on his light in the morning. So his light didn’t turn on until 3pm and then two days later now I forgot to to turn Off his light. And it’s been on all night. I feel absolutely terrible I don’t know what to do I’m freaking out I don’t know if I’ve hurt him or not. Should I just leave the light on cause it’s about the time I usually turn it on. I’m concerned . Btw yes I know there are timers and I’m obviously buying one today! Just need to know what to do or if damage is done
He should be ok but I would get a timer if you cant remember to turn them on and off --- you should check on your dragon tho every day when getting up in the morning and before going to bed at nite -- hours should be 12 on and 12 off that is the norm -- but he needs to be put on a schedule --- when are you feeding him? He should be fed 2 times per day or atleas offered food twice a day sometimes if they are eating a lot of food in the morning like say salads worms and a staple feeder they wont eat again in the afternoon-- and make sure your feeding at least 2-3 hrs before lights off -- they need time to start digesting the food

Stanlee

Bearded Dragon Egg
The
He should be ok but I would get a timer if you cant remember to turn them on and off --- you should check on your dragon tho every day when getting up in the morning and before going to bed at nite -- hours should be 12 on and 12 off that is the norm -- but he needs to be put on a schedule --- when are you feeding him? He should be fed 2 times per day or atleas offered food twice a day sometimes if they are eating a lot of food in the morning like say salads worms and a staple feeder they wont eat again in the afternoon-- and make sure your feeding at least 2-3 hrs before lights off -- they need time to start digesting the food
Thank you for replying and yes I’m buying a timer today to start using so that his schedule won’t be messed up again. His light usually goes on around 7am and goes off around 9 or 10 so it’s like 14 hours of light usually. And I usually feed him at 5pm everyday I dont get off work until 4 most days but I try to feed him quite a bit

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The

Thank you for replying and yes I’m buying a timer today to start using so that his schedule won’t be messed up again. His light usually goes on around 7am and goes off around 9 or 10 so it’s like 14 hours of light usually. And I usually feed him at 5pm everyday I dont get off work until 4 most days but I try to feed him quite a bit
Ok I would try and start feeding him in the morning before work -- a salad and worms like BSFL - those can be left in a bowl like glass or ceramic something they cant get out of -- like this
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Get some BSFL add them to the top of your salad and leave on the cool side of the tank so the greens dont dry out so much -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html he should be getting salad every day -- your not feeding him enough if hes going all day w/ out eating -- and I would be rinsing those greens before serving they will give him moisture / hydration -- you can get some BSFL from here www.aafeeder.com/feeder-worms/superworms/ I would get him some small super worms some roaches that can all be left in the bowl in the morning --- start off w/ 1-3 supers as many as you want for BSFL they are a great staple feeder for babies and some roaches like 8-10 of them -- see how many he eats -- make sure you check your tank for any escapees -- when they are small most wont escape -- do not dust the BSFL they are calcium enriched but dust the roaches -- calcium D3 once per feeding 5 x per week vitamins w/ beta carotene once per feeding 2 x per week -- I would offer insects again when you come home from work --- w/ the worms staple feeder insects and salads he will be getting a balanced diet - you can also feed silk worms as well they are another great staple feeder -- NO meal worms now -- they are too harsh on babies stomachs -- they are usually fed for older dragons -- wax worms are too fatty so if you ever feed them feed sparingly -- too many can cause liver damage --

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon

I had a bulb go out while I was at work and I wasn’t able to leave to go replace it. So she was without for 8 hours. It really stressed her out and she quit eating and even threw up the next day. I’d say she quit eating a few days. It took her a bit to get back to normal once everything was back in place. I’d definitely do a timer like you said. just letting you know my experience to be prepared if he starts acting off. But don’t be so hard on yourself! Live and learn I say.

Latest posts