• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I just bought a tank that is 96 in x 36 in x 24 in, what Arcadia t5 bulb do I need?

nisemu

Bearded Dragon Egg
As the title says I have bought a hugeeee tank, I really need some help on figuring out what UVB bulb is needed I am looking at the d3 dragon by Arcadia ( id like to get one of their setups plus the cage for the light ) and I have been reading charts all day, I just dont understand. I would appreciate any advice anyone could give, on everything aka heating decorations everything, I always love new opinions! Also if you have any suggestions on decorations I would love to hear it I am thinking of making my beardie a huge rock hide with stairs and what not!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As the title says I have bought a hugeeee tank, I really need some help on figuring out what UVB bulb is needed I am looking at the d3 dragon by Arcadia ( id like to get one of their setups plus the cage for the light ) and I have been reading charts all day, I just dont understand. I would appreciate any advice anyone could give, on everything aka heating decorations everything, I always love new opinions! Also if you have any suggestions on decorations I would love to hear it I am thinking of making my beardie a huge rock hide with stairs and what not!
The fixture you want would be a 48" -- that is half the tank -- You want a 12% bulb for a 24" tall tank -- it needs to go inside the tank directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches --- you need 3 digital probe thermometers to keep accurate temps in the tank --- one on the hot basking side one in the middle of the tank and one on the cool side of the tank --- you want surface basking temps on the hot side of the tank temp is dependent on how old the dragon is please do not put a baby in that size of a tank ---- a dragon of age around 4 months up would be ok anything younger tank is too big -- 90's in the middle and 80's cool side of the tank -- I would get a couple of hides --- hammocks are optional I dont use them -- if you go w/ a hammock get a fleece or cloth one -- the grass and green mesh cause a lot of nail injuries / foot -- www.etsy.com or www.pamperedbeardies.org

nisemu

Bearded Dragon Egg
The fixture you want would be a 48" -- that is half the tank -- You want a 12% bulb for a 24" tall tank -- it needs to go inside the tank directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches --- you need 3 digital probe thermometers to keep accurate temps in the tank --- one on the hot basking side one in the middle of the tank and one on the cool side of the tank --- you want surface basking temps on the hot side of the tank temp is dependent on how old the dragon is please do not put a baby in that size of a tank ---- a dragon of age around 4 months up would be ok anything younger tank is too big -- 90's in the middle and 80's cool side of the tank -- I would get a couple of hides --- hammocks are optional I dont use them -- if you go w/ a hammock get a fleece or cloth one -- the grass and green mesh cause a lot of nail injuries / foot -- www.etsy.com or www.pamperedbeardies.org
I actually have had him for three years now, and take him for regular vet checks so don't fret he is in amazing hands, and is in a tank with proper UVB and heating, he just needs a bigger tank so I have a lot of questions due to the fact that ive never had him in a tank bigger than four feet. I appreciate your comment so so so much thank you tons for taking the time to respond!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I actually have had him for three years now, and take him for regular vet checks so don't fret he is in amazing hands, and is in a tank with proper UVB and heating, he just needs a bigger tank so I have a lot of questions due to the fact that ive never had him in a tank bigger than four feet. I appreciate your comment so so so much thank you tons for taking the time to respond!
Ok well he will like the room -- just get your temps in the tank and uvb on par

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
Hey I spoke to the vet yesterday and I explained that I was trying to achieve 100f on the hot side then 90 in the middle and 80 hot end and she said 90 for the middle is too hot it should be just over 80 and then 80 on the cool end.. I’m so confused. That is what I have mine at as it’s the only temperature I can realistically get. My basking spot is 97 and I keep a CHE on in middle to keep the temps up around the tank but the middle of my tank and the cool side are almost the same air temps and apparently that’s how it is because you can’t do much about ambient temps in a 4ft tank.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey I spoke to the vet yesterday and I explained that I was trying to achieve 100f on the hot side then 90 in the middle and 80 hot end and she said 90 for the middle is too hot it should be just over 80 and then 80 on the cool end.. I’m so confused. That is what I have mine at as it’s the only temperature I can realistically get. My basking spot is 97 and I keep a CHE on in middle to keep the temps up around the tank but the middle of my tank and the cool side are almost the same air temps and apparently that’s how it is because you can’t do much about ambient temps in a 4ft tank.
Here is a pic of my set up -- I have a 75 watt in the middle of the tank it keeps temps around 90 something its a second basking area w/ my UVB the hot side is 100 ambient and different temps depending on where Blaze sits on the decor piece he has a choice of where he wants to sit for temps

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 10

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
Here is a pic of my set up -- I have a 75 watt in the middle of the tank it keeps temps around 90 something its a second basking area w/ my UVB the hot side is 100 ambient and different temps depending on where Blaze sits on the decor piece he has a choice of where he wants to sit for temps
so your ambient temps in middle of your tank is 90 but you’ve managed to get the air temps to drop to 80 on the cool side? That is impossible for me seriously.. I’ve asked so many people and even a vet and they’ve told me you can’t get the air temp to drop that much in such a small space.. and I agree since I’ve tried it! Do you take your readings directly under the light or on the back wall of the tank?

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon

so your ambient temps in middle of your tank is 90 but you’ve managed to get the air temps to drop to 80 on the cool side? That is impossible for me seriously.. I’ve asked so many people and even a vet and they’ve told me you can’t get the air temp to drop that much in such a small space.. and I agree since I’ve tried it! Do you take your readings directly under the light or on the back wall of the tank?
I also remember her telling me that if my basking spot is correct and my cool side is correct then the rest should work itself out and she seemed very sure about that. It’s so confusing knowing who to listen to.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

My readings come off a digital probe thermometer placed on the decor piece for surface basking temps that is what you want for basking -- I have 3 gauges in the tank 2 digital probes one analog and one IR gun used --- and I dont find it impossible to get those readings - my tank is a 120 gallon or a 4x2x2 tank -- the cool side is ambient temp from the digital probe -- I have a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank for humidity -- vets are not always right-- I have had a lot of people w/ bad experienced vets --- it is very hard to find a good reptile vet --- you haft to go by your dragons behavior --- they are going to tell you what is right and not right - you want 3 temps in your tank --- surface basking temps 95-100--- 90's in the middle of the tank and cool side low 80's--

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
is your probe that’s in the middle, is it out of the way of the light or does the light shine on it, i only ask as that would make it more achievable instead of having the actual air temps be able to differ so much in such a small space.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
is your probe that’s in the middle, is it out of the way of the light or does the light shine on it, i only ask as that would make it more achievable instead of having the actual air temps be able to differ so much in such a small space.
The probe is placed on the basking decor under the light/ lights -- I leave it there for a good 30 minutes to make sure it has stopped getting the temp

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
The probe is placed on the basking decor under the light/ lights -- I leave it there for a good 30 minutes to make sure it has stopped getting the temp
So when you say the ambient temp your are referring to a particular spot that you get to 90s which is in the middle.. from what you said originally it sounded like you saying you get the air temperature to be 90 in the middle which I was finding impossible.. so effectively you have two basking spots for him. That’s so much easier and makes so much more sense lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So when you say the ambient temp your are referring to a particular spot that you get to 90s which is in the middle.. from what you said originally it sounded like you saying you get the air temperature to be 90 in the middle which I was finding impossible.. so effectively you have two basking spots for him. That’s so much easier and makes so much more sense lol
Surface basking temps on the rock under the light is temp I am talking about- by the UVB --- the analog on the back wall is telling me ambient temp is 100-on the hot side - temps on the decor piece under the lights are different - so w/ the basking temp of 90's or so its going to be similar in that area - cool side is 80's - in the summer I haft to watch temps in the tank as my tank is in a warm room and the sun shines in there by afternoon I am shutting the lower wattage basking light off on the hot side - gets too hot --- if you have a ambient temp on the hot side and its reading 100 the temps on the decor piece are going to be warmer -

Latest posts