• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I have just rescued a bearded dragon Advice Please

celia

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have just rescued a bearded dragon from a teenager. The dragon is about 2 yrs old. He was filthy so have bathed him. He has started to shed his skin i have had him for two days and appears to be starving. hes eating 3 bowls of lettuce carrot and grapes a day. He has also had meal worms today. Should he be eating this much or is he making up for lost time how much should i feed him as i dont wish to atarve him or overfeed. Advice please

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It's great that you rescued this beardie :D Do you have the proper enclosure/supplies to take care of him? (UVB, Basking light?) As for the feeding, meal worms arent so good for beardies, their shells are too hard for them to digest. A better meal would be crickets. Beardies love them, and theyhave the nutrients so he can grow. If he has been starved, start feeding him 2/3 times a day, but not too may crix. If he eats the small ammount easily, work him up to a bit more, then more each day till he is eating normally. (he is a full grown dragon so maybe 20 a day? *correct me if wrong*) Also, full grown beardies need alot of greens. Carrots are good for treats but lettuce has no nutritional value for them. He needs to be on a diet of collard greens, mustard greens, etc. There is a foods chart on the diet section of the forum. Sorry if this is overwhelming, just trying to make sure he gets better asap :)

celia

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok thanks for the help where do i get mustard greens etc from? yes I have a basking lamp for him temp is around 100 is that ok

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome! Congrats on saving the little one.

Honestly, I would not let him gorge on food. He can run into some tummy issues. A 2 year old dragon should have a diet of about 80% salad (greens & veggie) and 20% proteins (bugs). Mustard greens can be found in most supermarket produce sections. You'll also find collard greens there too. I would give him salad throughout the day. And bugs every other day. Some good bugs are crickets, phoenix worms, dubia roaches. They key to a dragon's diet is variety. Mix it up every day.

I'll provide a link to our caresheet and salad sheet. Lettuce should really not be given. Not too much nutritional value for a dragon and it can give them the runs. Carrots should be offered as a treat on occasion.

Bearded Dragon Care

Bearded Dragon Diet

Latest posts