• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I changed Safiras Enclosure

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi everyone i changed Safiras enclosure today got sick of her licking at the sand even tho it passes through her i just can't stand it. Safira hated tiles maybe i didn't put the right ones in maybe they weren't rough enough,maybe i didn't leave her on them long enough. But what i did was i put fake grass in her enclosure. Here are some pictures of her enclosure before and now and pictures of Safira on her new substrate.
Before
BILD0909.jpg

Now
BILD0077.jpg

BILD0078.jpg

Safira
BILD0073.jpg

BILD0072.jpg

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Safira seems to be enjoying the new subsrate shes not scared to walk on it. I'm debating for my new enclosure if i should stick with this sunsrate or try tiles again.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hard call if she likes it. I do wonder what the consequences are of bacteria forming on the grass. If she poos, is it easy to wipe clean or does it leave behind some residue?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Renee there. I do have one quarantine viv that can have two different lengths of repticarpet, but I was always changing out the pieces for laundering daily, so just opted to use paper toweling instead.
Janie.

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi what i do with the poo is i pick it up with a paper towel then grab a damp face coth and wipe where she has pooed. Seems to clean up nicely this way, It also isn't smelling like the sand did. Safira is still stressing darting off at any movement,not eating very much. On monday the 17th is also the day her enclosure got moved from diagangle to straight. This is what she ate starting monday the 17th 21 insects, tues-11 insects,wed-13 insects,thurs-4 insects,friday-9 insects,sat-3 crickets,sun-10 crickets and today mon-2 crickets so far. So her low apitite started the day i took her sand out and put fake grass in. Her behaviour has been funny since moving her enclosure on monday the 17th. She runs at the sight of movement often going behind her log. I'm not giving her sand back at all so shes going to have to get use to the fake grass. I wander if bearded dragons behaviour changes as they get older? She is shedding at the moment don't know if that will have anything to do with this? the last time she shed she was a bit flighty but nothing like she is now. She has lost interest in the cockroaches which she loved to eat. When should i start to worry about her low apitie? I just don't want Safira to loss weight but if she keeps up with this she will. She has been eatting a far bit of veggies tho since the 20th eg me removing sand putting fake grass in.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I understand your concerns. These little monsters can drive us insane!

Here's what I think -
I think you have a couple things going on. First, she is shedding. That lowers some beardie's appetites.

Second, she has a new home (in her eyes). That can lead to relocation stress. This can last anywhere from a couple of days to 2 weeks. She is eating a little bit. That is better than not at all. Another thing to keep in mind is that bearded dragons go in cycles with their appetites. Monday they may totally pig out and then the next few days, they barely eat a thing. They are dessert animals and instinct tells them that food may not always be available. So, they can go a bit of time without it.

Third, their appetites change like the wind. One day the love crickets, the next they want nothing to do with them. I think this is what you have going on with the roaches. I say give it a rest and try again in a couple weeks or so.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hmmm....i'm not sure about the grass either. i guess it is like reptile carpet. can you wash it?

Latest posts