• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hurricane preparedness

clareop

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Everyone,
Will it be a real problem is I lose power for a couple of days and Beard loses his light? I don't think it will be cold in the house. I'm pretty sure it will be pretty tropical in here, unfortunately for us. But will he have trouble digesting his food for a few days without it?
Should I ply with with as much food as possible now?
And what to do if I run out of crickets? He's young (a juvenile) but seems to hate veggies. The only thing he likes is the crickets.
Thanks! What is everyone else doing who's in the path?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He should be ok for a couple of days if u lose power, just try 2 get him as much natural sunlight possible during the outage. I would feed smaller portions so he's not stuck with a bunch of undigested food in his stomach. Good luck, hope the storm passes without any trouble.

clareop

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Jeff. I hope we'll see the sun eventually. He's a pretty healthy guy from what I can tell.

clareop

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks--I think we are pretty worked up here in DC since these things don't happen much. But then, neither did earthquakes....

Sqooky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I live in Florida and keep a good stock of those hand warmers just in case we have a power outage. You can wrap them in a towel and let your beardie snuggle up to it for enough warmth to digest a meal ;)

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Clareop: Warm water might also help w/digestion too. Try a warm soak for 20 minutes after a meal. My beardie acted kinda strange just before the earthquake hit last Tuesday but it didn't interrupt his eating habits, however as you know, we are feeling the effects of the hurricane today (Im n NVA). Its been raining since about noon - its now midnite and it hasn't stopped yet! My dragon has been sleeping most of the day due to the lack of sun (despite the fact he has a spot light & UV tube). Maybe your's will ride it out the same way.

Be safe and best of luck w/the power. If it's nice tomorrow afternoon, go see the new MLK memorial (its way cool); despite the fact they cancelled the grand opening :(

Cheers

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Man... you don't realise how luck you.. MEANING ME.. I live in Australia - Victoria. We don't get Tornados, Hurricanes, or eathquakes... We sometimes get earth tremors but most of the time you can't even feel them. And we only get those because of the coal mines and the old gold mine. The ground is like swiss cheese with holes here, there and everywhere.

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, we haven't had power for about 12 hours now, its 9:30am here we are right outside philly! Storm has been sitting on us since we took him out of his home, the most he has ever stayed still in the 2 months that we have had him..( I'm loving it ) thanks for all the info, I was worried!

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL, yeah we made sure all three phones were charged and our 2 laptops, so we could charge when the phones when they died, LOL power is still out. We went to my sisters, it could always be worse, my poor storm is sitting on the hand warmers Like everyone suggested...its working for now. Thanks.

Latest posts