• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Humidity

RyanHuff20

Hatchling Dragon
I seem to be having a problem controlling the humidity levels in my enclosure. I do not currently have a water dish in there but it remains about 40% humidity. Again I have no water dish nor have a misted the inside of the enclosure. It is a 30 gal tank and the basking side is usually 100-105 degrees and the opposite end averages 80 degrees

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The ideal humidity to strive for would be in the 10-30% range. Buutttt, without a quick sudden change, BDs will adapt very well. Throughout my experience in the Hobby, I have lived in high humidity areas. I have moved my dragons 2,000 kms west to Vancouver Island for 2 years & then back. On the island the humidity was 70+%, here on the prairies in the rainy season the RH can be up into the 80% range, short of putting in a dehumidifier & keeping all the household windows closed (Which simply won't happen in my household) it is not possible to lower it.

To make a long story short, it would be much better if you can keep the humidity down to within the desired range, buutttt if the climate that you live in will just not allow it & you can keep it from having sudden changes, your BDs will do just fine. The 11 year old that has done the travels with me, along with others slightly younger, that are now happily keeping my niece in check, will attest to this.

RyanHuff20

Hatchling Dragon
So my beardie will adjust to this humidity? What happens if it drops again after he adjusts, will this affect him

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I would like to play Devil's advocate here, for my own education and benefit! :D

I have always been told not to keep a water dish in the enclosure and, thus, somewhat fiercely recommended this to those that have asked (literally to the point of others walking away with hurt feelings, unfortunately). I have always appreciated the advice you've given Germ, but it seems to conflict with what you've just described.

If they can adapt to higher humidity environments, how does keeping a water dish in the enclosure invite potential health issues long-term? Is the advice about not having a water dish in there more general, since we all live in different areas of the world?

Keep in mind, I have zero desire to have one in the cage (I don't have the room even if I wanted one). I'm just wanting a better understanding so I can advise others that ask in the bet possible way!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The point is to keep the humidity as low as possible, to more mimic it's natural habitat. Placing a water dish in the enclosure will raise the humidity & the majority of the time they are not used anyway. The point of not keeping an unused water bowl in an enclosure is for this reason. On the rare occasions that someone may have one of the odd BDs that will in fact drink from standing water, having a water dish is acceptable, because there are some pros to it that outweigh the cons. In a situation where the climate is quite humid where we live, there is very little that can be done about it, other than as previously mentioned, use a dehumidifier & keep all windows in the home constantly buttoned up, which for many of us, is not an option & they will adapt.

Personally, even if one of my BDs did drink from standing water, I still would not have one in it's enclosure. They receive more than adequate hydration from their feeders, greens, along with the regular misting & warm soaks that should be provided anyway if we are practicing good Basic Husbandry.

Latest posts