• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Howdy...handling?

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey you guys! Its me again ;) ..just wondering what are some of the best tactics to getting my beardie to accept me? the first week I had to handle him quite a bit with the soaking, although he was a bit of a booger and nervous he was getting quite good about being handled..unfortunately weve been back tracking..hes gone from 4 minutes in my hand to 1 if im lucky, I always pick him up gently and let him rest on my open palm over his branch so he knows he can get off without harm or panic..he does get off gently, climbs onto his branch and seems so peaceful but once hes on the branch with all 4 legs he panics and runs into the glass or into the corner of his tank. I try and pat him and he runs away again. I keep trying til he stops, then pat him gently on hs back, he stands still for this, then I take my hand away slowly and freaks out and runs like a wild man again breathing all heavy. I assume this is normal behavior for a baby beardie but what are some of the best ways to get him used to being handled? any tips or suggestions?

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the bigger he gets the calmer he will get

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i got Yoda to accept me by just hand feeding some salad mix. Putting a little greens, etc on the end of my finger and showing him. Just gotta watch he doesn't get tooo excited and take a nibble of your finger (they may be little but they can sure latch on). quite often l will set yoda down on my coffee table and hand feed him for 10 minutes and after a good old feed, he will climb up my hand/arm and sit on my chest for a few minutes. It's quite sweet actually and it drives Max *Jack Russell Puppy* nuts. But Max and Yoda are great friends They *play together* on and off thru the day, so it's not a problem.

Attachments

• DSC05223.JPG
    DSC05223.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 16

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks guys! Ajandj that is too cute about Max and Yoda, what a combo! lol...great picture too. I have a good who was best friends with our duck..they were so funny to watch...unfortunely our duck was taken by the raccoon just a few weeks ago :(...I will have to seach for a new duck for our goose, she is not too happy.

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey Bill! Are you sure he will get calmer??? LOL I've had storm for over a month now, and now for some reason as soon as I put my hand in his cage he puffs and opens his mouth...he wants noooo part of me ;( any other suggestions?*

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thats funny i have a dragon that does the same thing ho is he after you pick him up what color is he

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He stays the same color, maybe gets a tad darker: ( his color is like a whittish light green, more white when he's nice and toasty, more green when not basking) don't know if you need all that info ;)

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
mine that tend to be snipy are yellows

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't have any issues with any of my subadult or adult dragons I'm sure it will get better with age and handling

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I assume dragon personality is per individual that's why when I bought my baby as a hatchling (about 30-45 days old), I picked the one that was the least active while in the hand. I attributed his clam nature when he was a baby to what his personality would be like going forward. My husband wanted the more active one but I insisted that it was best for the kids to have a clam dude.

As usual (lol), I was right! My guy is almost a full adult now and has ALWAYS been extreemly clam. After his 1st week in his new viv, we' handled him for hours right from the start and never had any aggressive, bad tempered behavior. He rarely turns his beard black or has any belly stress stripes at all. He's a fantastic dragon in terms of personality and has been a great addition to our family - super fun.

We take him with us for short shopping trips around town, he like riding in the car on his towel on the dash board. He rides in that wagon around the neighborhood, he trots around the house like he owns the joint (he does) and he sleeps under the covers with me sometimes at night......his "ballerina" legs crack me up - I call then ballerina cuz he stretches his legs all the way out behind him and points his toes - so funny!

Bottom Line - start with a clam baby and you'll end up with a clam, friendly adult.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
lol mine doesnt get aggressive, just absolutely terrified...scared when open the tank, scared when I move the lights, scared when I look at him, scared when I speak to him, scared when I touch him...its terrible lol.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a girlfriend and she got her beardie when he was 12 months old. His name is Boris and he HATES men. Everytime a manor boy walks up to him, his beard goes black and he puffs up and if a male even tries to pick boris up he bites them and if he is out of the enclosure, he will actually chase them out of the room. Kinda makes you wonder why he has a hatred for men...

Latest posts