• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how to get beardies to eat vegetables?

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
alright so I got a new little one yesterday after my last experience, and I would like to know, is there a good way to feed veggies to her? she ate a leaf or two (collard greens) yesterday, but because the piece was too big I had to pull the leaf out before she ate the whole thing, does this sort of thing just turn them off to eating veggies? or what?

MikeNTalysDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Lukas. I read your other thread yesterday, I'm sorry things went the way they did with your first one. I actually just went through the same thing with my first dragon, Carlitos. I got him from a petsmart too. I was able to keep him alive for a month by force feeding insects and dripping baby food, but he either failed to adapt or might have been suffering from a disease called Atadenovirus, based on the symptoms toward the end. I know how sad it is to do your best and lose them anyway. Glad you are giving it another try, best of luck with this one.

Anyway, I got a new baby from an online breeder and after a couple days to settle in he's eating insects regularly. Last night I fed him some phoenix worms and I noticed that they immediately went for his dish of pellets that I don't think he eats. I'm sure they just wanted something to burrow in. Once they got under the pellets and started worming around, they created an undulating motion of the pellets themselves that made them look alive. I'm going to try doing the same thing with a salad. I expect the insect like movement will cause him to take some bites. I'm hoping that once he starts chomping down the salad with worms he'll recognize the salad itself is good food.

As for the size of the salad bits, I use one of these to mash it up

https://www.amazon.com/Pampered-Che...=UTF8&qid=1465475817&sr=1-15&keywords=chopper

I got my phoenix worms here, I ordered 100 medium Sunday night and they arrived wednesday via usps. I haven't found any dead, very happy with the purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KXE2X9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also get my small dubia roaches from amazon from Robert's Roaches, also very pleased with that order. The breeder here in town charges 20 for 100 small, he charges less than 10 and free shipping. No idea how he makes profit.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new dragon.

MikeNTalysDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Forgot to mention, instead of worms you can also use a chopstick or something to stir the veggies around to attract their attention. I have seen that strategy work on youtube. Again, probably better to dice the veggies to bit size pieces.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just keep offering the salads everyday and in time they will eat some, putting worms in there can make it more interesting for them. Just remember as babies they will go for the protein first as they are rapidly growing. I know with my 5 month old if I give him a piece or two at a time and then they get their bugs

Latest posts