• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to get beardie acclimated to a bath?

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
I ya.. so I've just got my beardie recently and he is about 3.5 years old. I have attempt 3 times to give him a short bath. Up until now he has never had baths.. just misting. And every time I've attempted a bath.. he just spends the entire time trying to jump to get out.... if I bend over to the bath.. he tries to jump to me.. and if I stick my arm in just to relax him.. he climbs up out of the water. I have also tried placing a towel in there for traction.. but he just does not enjoy baths.
Is this normal? Any other tips?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If your dragon hasn't had many baths it might take a little time to get used to them. Don't get discouraged, he'll learn to appreciate a good soak. :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Let it flail around for 10- 15 minutes, BDs are actually very capable swimmers & can submerge for short periods of time without issue. They inflate their body with air like a balloon to enable them to float if necessary. As JP said it will get used to it & possibly learn to enjoy it.

@Sunkiss - Yes it should be a regular part of good BD husbandry, it serves 4 purposes, the obvious one is it cleans/freshens them up a bit & will help with hydration, many BDs will drink while in the bath. It is also a huge help with shedding. Will also usually clean it out as more times than not, they will defecate in a warm soak.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Cool. I'm gonna give her a bath this weekend :) or at least try....I hope she doesn't freak on me. I mist her every few days. She is really shedding big time. I'm kinda wondering if the humidity has anything to do with her shedding. It has been muggy here and the humidity in the tank has been around 40% for awile. I've tried putting less water in her water bowl and it is on the far side from the heat lamp.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Cool. I'm gonna give her a bath this weekend :) or at least try....I hope she doesn't freak on me. I mist her every few days. She is really shedding big time. I'm kinda wondering if the humidity has anything to do with her shedding. It has been muggy here and the humidity in the tank has been around 40% for awile. I've tried putting less water in her water bowl and it is on the far side from the heat lamp.
Sunkiss, shedding is a natural thing. Your beardie is at an age where it will be constantly growing and shedding. The humidity probably helps out the shed a little bit, but isn't too good on their lungs. It's only a little high though, so I wouldn't worry. You gotta remember that sometimes you have to do things for your pets that they won't enjoy. Most Bearded Dragons learn to enjoy a nice warm bath, just make sure it's not too deep and they can touch the ground. I've heard you don't want it deeper then their armpits... or what would be an armpit on a human lol. At first they won't like it at all though. Keep them in there for at least 15 minutes anyway, it's good for them! In fact, necessary for proper hydration.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I ya.. so I've just got my beardie recently and he is about 3.5 years old. I have attempt 3 times to give him a short bath. Up until now he has never had baths.. just misting. And every time I've attempted a bath.. he just spends the entire time trying to jump to get out.... if I bend over to the bath.. he tries to jump to me.. and if I stick my arm in just to relax him.. he climbs up out of the water. I have also tried placing a towel in there for traction.. but he just does not enjoy baths.
Is this normal? Any other tips?

I hope you are having better luck lately since your original post on giving your beardie a bath. I have been giving Sunkiss baths and I discovered that if it is too cool she does not like it...if it is nice and warm then she relaxes and seems to enjoy the bath. Of course, she usually will poop and at that point I quickly drain, rinse well and refill the bath and she gets all cleaned up pretty! :)

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Sunkiss, shedding is a natural thing. Your beardie is at an age where it will be constantly growing and shedding. The humidity probably helps out the shed a little bit, but isn't too good on their lungs. It's only a little high though, so I wouldn't worry. You gotta remember that sometimes you have to do things for your pets that they won't enjoy. Most Bearded Dragons learn to enjoy a nice warm bath, just make sure it's not too deep and they can touch the ground. I've heard you don't want it deeper then their armpits... or what would be an armpit on a human lol. At first they won't like it at all though. Keep them in there for at least 15 minutes anyway, it's good for them! In fact, necessary for proper hydration.
I have been giving her baths and if it is nice and warm then she seems to relax and enjoy the soak :)

tl3314

Hatchling Dragon
So I have tried warmer- and he just poops quicker LOL... but still can't sit still. I'll just sit next to the tub and pay him no attention and he still jumps and jumps and scrambles to get out. I've tried ever 3 days to get him a 5-10 min bath. He won't have anything to do with it. HOWEVER- on the plus side- he actually tires himself out so he will let me pet him without him freaking out.
I'm wearing him down I tell ya!

Latest posts