• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How old?

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
My BD is 5 1/2 inches long, from the head to the tip of the tail.

My daughter was told it is 'about' six months old now. I want to know if the size matches the age.

Approximately, how old would guys and gals say he/she is?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would estimate (& I stress estimate) closer to 5-6 weeks, than 6 months. BDs grow at different rates, but there is absolutely no way that a 5.5" dragon is 6 months old. A 6 month old Dragon would be in the vicinity of twice that size.

Have a look at post #69 on this thread. In my opinion, the smaller ones are more the average size for a month old.

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/burrowing.6450/#post-63377

The larger ones, to me, are extraordinarily large. I have acquired 3 Dragons as babies from professional Breeders, all 3 acquired at the ages of 6 to 7 weeks old, all 3 were 6" or slightly less when I acquired them.

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Germ, I'm kind of glad that she is younger rather than older.

By the way, she turned out to be a she, her original name was Christopher. My grandson wanted to name 'him' after me. However, after following the instruction on the gender video, her name is now Patricia (no 'balls' hahaha...)

She is right here on my computer desk watching type.

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
Mines 7" at the moment and 9 weeks. You're looking at something really as germ said. Maybe a tad older if its female. x

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there, there is no way to truly gauge by size. You can hatch 25 neonates from the same clutch and while most will grow close to the same length and weight. You will still have a few that will grow much faster and some the grow much slower than the majority. Other things to take into consideration is genetics, how well the breeder does with his/her young ones, the appetite the kid has, etc. All kinds of factors play a part in how big or small a young one will be at a specific age.

If i were to "guess" age. Germains guess of 5-6 weeks is a good one :)

Latest posts