• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many crix?

hanfon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi all, Pluto is about 9.5mnths old now and seems healthy so far. Because Im new to Beardie keeping I just wanted to make sure about his intake of crickets? He LOVES his salad (Yay) and eats a hearty bowlful most days. Additionally he eats between 15 - 20 live crickets daily. I dust these most days with calcium and once a week with vitamin powder... does that sound enough for his age? Also he is/was shedding for the first time since Ive had him.. He shed is tail, legs, feet over about a week and now seems to have stopped, is that normal too?
Thanks, I'm thankful you all know so much about these gorgeous creatures ..
Han :D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is awesome that he is eating his salad! So many beardies protest their greens.

The cricket amount seems ok. You are reaching that 1 year mark where salad will be his daily meal and bugs will be offered 2-3 times per week. Dragons under 1 year eat anywhere from 25-75 crickets daily. Here's a link to our caresheet. It discusses various proteins and the quantities per week:
Bearded Dragon Care

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As far as the shed goes, it sounds normal. My 10 month old sheds the front half of her head and under her chin, then her back legs, then front, then the back half of her head, then tail, then back and belly. This all takes place over a 2 week period sometimes more. Oscar my 5 year old has been shedding for over 2 weeks and only has the left side of his back done and one back foot.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all, Pluto is about 9.5mnths old now and seems healthy so far. Because Im new to Beardie keeping I just wanted to make sure about his intake of crickets? He LOVES his salad (Yay) and eats a hearty bowlful most days. Additionally he eats between 15 - 20 live crickets daily. I dust these most days with calcium and once a week with vitamin powder... does that sound enough for his age? Also he is/was shedding for the first time since Ive had him.. He shed is tail, legs, feet over about a week and now seems to have stopped, is that normal too?
Thanks, I'm thankful you all know so much about these gorgeous creatures ..
Han Cheesy

Thanx for this. Answered my question too

Pogie is also 9.5 months and has always eaten 30-50 crics daily. Now for the past 2 weeks its been getting less and less. I have to admit it started getting less when I switched her from mediums to large. She is now down to 10-15 per day. Plus her bowl of salad of course

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
its official mine is a pig...she is the same age as these 2 and still eating about 50 a day

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
its official mine is a pig...she is the same age as these 2 and still eating about 50 a day

LOL

Nah, dont think shes a piggy. She just wants what we all want, never to age and stay youthfull forever. Shes holding on to her childhood (and milking mommy) for as long as she can.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is a lot of crix in comparison. I even get a larger size cricket now and she is still eating that many. She really is holding on to her childhood, she stopped eating her salad about 4 days ago. Today she nibbled on it but she has decided she will eat nothing from a plant...not even blueberries or bell pepper, the 2 things she will bit your finger trying to get in an excited rush to the bowl.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ha ha, thought it was just Pogie who was really full of nonsense.
It seems they go through phases....
Im trying to get P to eat sweet potato but NOPE, hasnt touched her salad in 2 days.
Shes currently surviving on 11 Crics per day

Latest posts