• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How Fat is too Fat

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi all, Artemis has been growing like crazy these couple months and along with getting longer, she's packing on the pounds. Her eating has begun to slow down (compared to when she was very young) but she is still an eager eater. Pooping is normal, not every day anymore but looks healthy.

So what I am wondering is if Artemis is a bit on the big side? I do take her out to run around my bed and for baths but maybe she needs more exercise?
(As I am her second owner, I can only estimate that she is about 4-7 months)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    668.3 KB · Views: 12

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She looks older than 4-7months she looks more like 9+ months by looking at her head size and her tail size. How long is she? What are you feeding her and how often?? How often does she get exercise time to run around and does she? Is she poofed up with air like they sometimes do to look bigger?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She's a cutie, I think if their belly is touching the floor when they run then they are too fat:p If she's active and running around then I think she's fine. The second picture does look like she's puffing her belly out.

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah I was beginning to question her age considering how big she is. Her original owners got her from a pet store so the chances of them not really knowing is pretty high! My profile picture was just taken mid September so she has grown a lot. In the second picture I think she might be a bit puffed up with air as her beard isn't normally that full.

I feed her mostly gut-loaded crickets (as many as she will eat in about 10 minutes) and occasionally superworms (typically 6-10 in a feeding as she stops eating around 10). She has been fed daily but I am thinking it is time to transition to every other day. She gets greens (collard greens, bok choy, cabbage, occasional kale), veggies (bell peppers, cucumbers, celery), and sometimes fruit daily. I try to get her out of her tank at least a couple times a week to run around and bathe. She is pretty active when she does come out and doesn't sit still for very long. She spends most of her time sunbathing in her hammock or on her log, typically comes down for food or to get away from poop if I haven't cleaned it up right away ;)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You may want to consider (depending on where you live and if your able to have them) are Dubia Roaches. They are very nutritious and 1 is the equivalent of 5 crickets. Not to mention way easier to maintain them, no smell, can't fly/climb enclosures, don't carry the potential parasitic gut that crickets can carry. Just something to consider looking into.
She looks like she could go to every other day for bugs lol continue offering salads daily..maybe increase her exercise time if your able. She looks very happy and loved :)

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have looked at Dubias but unfortunately they are illegal in Canada because they are roaches :(
I hate keeping crickets but what can you do.

Yeah I am switching to every other day. Thanks for the advice! :)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i think you can get another kind of roach - i'm trying to remember. dubias ya cant get. there are lobster roaches - which is not the one i am trying to think of - and another. maybe call your local rep vet. she can also eat superworms - and - she's got the size for them.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have looked at Dubias but unfortunately they are illegal in Canada because they are roaches :(
I hate keeping crickets but what can you do.

Yeah I am switching to every other day. Thanks for the advice! :)
Oh well that's a bummer... maybe you are able to get some other variety of roach. What other insects do you have available in Canada?

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
There's variety, just not always easy to find for a decent price.

The place I have ordered from in the past carried crickets, mealworms, supers, waxworms, butterworms, silk worms, phoenix worms, and hornworms.

I typically stick with crickets and supers for the sake of price and convenience, but my chameleon loves hornworms so maybe I will get a few extra to feed to her for a treat.

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
From what I have found roaches in general are banned across Canada but perhaps there is a type that isn't...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There's variety, just not always easy to find for a decent price.

The place I have ordered from in the past carried crickets, mealworms, supers, waxworms, butterworms, silk worms, phoenix worms, and hornworms.

I typically stick with crickets and supers for the sake of price and convenience, but my chameleon loves hornworms so maybe I will get a few extra to feed to her for a treat.
well at least you do have a variety to choose from then so that's good..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My girl loves hornworms. She won't touch butter worms but my boy loves them.

Latest posts