• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do you say no?

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OMG I did not know this would be so addicting so fast. I keep seeing beautiful baby dragons and I want them all. Ive almost bought and enquired about a few more. The logical said of me says no you have two now and your still learning. Not to mention the added cost of setup and upkeep. But part of me just wants to get more and more lol "just one more would not hurt.. it could not make it that much harder could it" "you can skip that doctor bill this dragon is so much better" lol.

So my question is how do you all say no?

Marmoset

Hatchling Dragon
This is an easy one. I know how much it costs to feed and house, and replace UVB bulbs for my single beardie for a year. Do I have enough money for another one? Do I have savings for routine and emergency vet care for TWO? Can I house twice as many feeders or order feeders 2x as often? And what about the time requirements: Cleaning cages, feeding, bonding: snuggling, sleeping, sharing sunny window screens etc.? I spend about 3 hours a day in maintaining and bonding with my single beardie and his cricket bin. Another would mean spending 6 hours a day with them or risk neglecting them.

And that doesn't even take into account quarantine- you'd have to buy the same set-up and a second of each item you use to clean and disnfect cages. You would need to use a new bath tub and you'd be blowing though soap expenses since you must always wash your hands before handling your existing beardie so nothing passes to your older pet from your new baby. If your existing dragon has been with you for just a short while he is in quarantine too. It's a lot of work.

For me it'd be too much work and expense to have two. Even having one is not cheap!

But yeah even I troll the tables at shows and oggle the beardies they have for sale.

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah I got two from the same breeder at the same time so I already got two lol. I think three would be pushing it too far for me. But I still cant help but want to get another lol. I sould probably stop looking at the sites and fb pages selling them too lol. TEMPTATION! !!!!

Marmoset

Hatchling Dragon
It is natuaral to want another one but if you keep looking at sites where they are sold you could eventually have a hoarding situation on your hands. Becareful the cuteness of a baby beardy is a trap to lure you in:) But be STRONG and don't look at the sites anymore. Once your past the stage where you no longer look at those sellers' sites you will be in a better mindset and in more control over your decision.

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah your right. I live looking at them but if the option is there to buy them it makes it worse. I just need to look at them in places theu are not for sell. Lol
I had to stop myself three times from getting this one.
uploadfromtaptalk1405669931158.jpg

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's a addiction lol...... I started with one..... Ended up with four. Than 2 banana split lizard and now a panther chameleon...... O did I mention the chameleon came with 18 eggs.......... O the joys............ I'm seriously thinking of down grading..... But it's hard to find someone trustworthy to buy the setup etc for all 3 as its one unit......

uploadfromtaptalk1405690172938.jpg

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thats what i want. Well something like that. Im going to make a double setup with cabinet base.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I always remind myself that I barely have the time or energy to give both of mine quality time out of their tanks. Dexter always comes out because she doesn't go far. Luci is a runner and has to be closely watched and I don't always have the energy for that after a long day at work. So I remind myself that there is no way I can keep up with more. Plus 3 cats, 5 frogs, and trying to feed 2 humans and keep a clean house, I would have to quit my job!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
...just this morning Dexter pooped in her tank :eek: She never goes in her tank, always in the tub.....I feel bad that I didn't make the time to give her a bath yesterday :( I was running around doing errands and then when I got home I was more focused on giving Luci play time outside of his tank.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Don't feel bad patsy, my dragons remind me of something everyday.

I don't feel too bad, she had a bath on Monday so it's not like she went weeks without one. My boyfriend is trying to make me feel guilty about it...probably because he was home and had to clean it up LOL!

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
I know how you feel I know I definitely want one more at some point. I know if they could be kept together I would have more but their adult enclosures are so large I would not have the room for more than two or maybe three.

Latest posts