• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how do i get my beardie to drink!?

vanity87

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He is 3inches long and just got him on saturday...(this is my first beardie & i have 2chameleons aswell) he doesnt want to drink any water unless i hold him and put a few drops on his face... any suggestions on what other things i should do!? i put a small bowl for him with water and a dripper but that doesnt seem to work!! ANY help would work

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Beardies absorb water through their vents. That's why it is so important to soak the 2-3 times a week for at least 20 minutes in warm water.I test the temp the way I did for my babies. I stick my wrist in and make sure it is not too warm. I have one who never never drinks on his own but my other two will drink from their baths. I taught them to do this by dripping it onto their noses while they soaked. I also swished the water around and let that lap up against their mouths. That may work for you.

Hope that helps!!

Welcome to the site!! :D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome. As Vesta pointed out, baths are important for dragons to stay hydrated. I do recommend babies getting daily baths.

Also, it is a 50/50 shot if your dragon will drink from a water bowl or not. Mine never did. He would lap up the drops that I would spray on a branch in his viv. Or he would drink his bath water. But never drink from a bowl. This is common.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As Renee said, some drink and some don't, one of mine drinks from a bowl or drops I put on his nose, the other will not even do that. As a baby she got her water from soaking, now that she eats veggies she gets her water from things like, cucumbers, blueberries, strawberries and red bell peppers to name a few.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use a number of methods to hydrate my dragon. The most successful methods for me I will list below in order from best to so so.

1. water bowl (I guess I am one of the few with animals who drink from standing water)
2. misting greens and/or providing greens or foods with a good water content
3. dripping water on nose or misting the animal
4. soaking/bath (I really only do this for exercise and to help with shedding)

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I soak my 3 in distilled water. I have a large bowl I use for the smaller two, and Sadie goes into the kitchen sink. All three of them have a large water dish in their enclosures. The "baby" actually puts himself in his bowl now.

jennixpxp

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
mine doesnt drink out of her water bowl either. from what research ive done,, they say they get their water from the crickets they eat. and misting and baths. mine never once has drank out of her bowl... but its not a bad thing. i wouldnt force it on yours to drink tho. its very common. hope it helps!! thanks for your time :)

Latest posts