• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how do I get my BD to warm up to me.....

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
This week tues is a week after Pendragon arrived. After that should I start working with him to tame him and what would others do to help him understand I am not a hungry ogre looking to eat him?
I speak softly always and make my movements slow. Thanks everyone.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Scoop him up from underneath, never try to pick him up from above him... that's what birds do before they eat them. It's something that will still get them bearding up at you and trying to take one of your fingers as a souvenir ;) LOL! Mostly though, it just spooks them.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi: Silkmoth; I just do as Aleena; said i go from under neith the baby and move or clean around him.First i stroke his head and then move or pick up what ever is neccessary to get done what i have too.And as far as taming i believe that , will come with time and trust. I have had mine about 2-months and now when i talk to him he comes right to front of tank[without food] to see me so he doe's regonize[sp] my voice.i think it's all trust as with any animal lol-they begin to trust you in time. Bella-aka-river.

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you River. He seems to like looking at me. He runs when I put my hand in but not as much as he used to. I did have to chase him on my knees around the room night before last when he got away from me! My mantids are easier to catch! I will work with him more.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hi: I just reread your post and you have only had a week or so-i would let him settle in more before you start to handle him a lot lol-as it can take up to 14-days to settle in. Bella-aka-river

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
when Draco was a baby he was awful to catch! He would run and scurry and hide, hiss and bite, he was a little monster! I stopped trying to handle him for about 5 months...simply pat him gently and spent time with my hand in and around him....eventually he graduated, grew up, relaxed and learned we werent out to eat him!

Latest posts