• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do I convince my husband that we need a bearded dragon?

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
::) Hello,
I just returned from a Missions trip to Africa and I saw a lot of really cool lizards. I think they were bearded dragons or maybe their cousin. I asked a veterinarian which was one of the missionaries traveling with us about which reptile she would recommend and she said, "bearded dragon". So now my task at hand is to do research and convince my husband that we should add a bearded dragon to our family.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You head off to a show where Thewolfman Tom is holding a table... and plop one of his darlins in Hubby's hands... Done deal after that ;)
Janie

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lol. Cool there are shows? When and where? Also can you recommend a breeder? I have been visiting the local PetSmart. They are not supposed to have anymore until Monday at least.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardies are great additions to any family. They are very docile reptiles and do not bite or claw at anyone. So, they are great if you have kids too.

I guess to answer your question about convincing your hubby, what are the reasons why he would not want one? In other words, why do you need to convince him?

Yes, there are reptile shows where breeders show off the offspring of their precious beardies. You can purchase your baby right there on the spot. Wolfman Tom is one of our forum members who happens to breed bearded dragons. He lives in Philly and will be attending the reptile show there. We have a handful of other breeders in our forum too.

Where do you live? We can see if there is a show coming to your area.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello,
I live in NC. My hubby is scared of them, that is why he would need to be convinced and we do have a son. I consulted a vet about which reptile to purchase and she recommended a beardie.

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
what part of NC? I live just over the line in VA you can bring him by and see mine and handle them to see what they are like. Ihave from small to fullgrown ones. None for sale though

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah, he's not a reptile fan, huh? Well, beardies are definitely docile and a great lizard to have with small children. They don't snap, bite , etc.

They eat a salad mix (veggies & greens) daily and proteins (bugs) every day for under a year and about 3 times per week for over a year. Proteins include crickets, dubia roaches, silkworms, locusts, phoenix worms to name a few.

They really are interesting characters. Quite spunky when little. Their character still comes out when they are older, just more placid. They give you the stare down when they don't like something and the crazy eye when they do like something.

Crypticdragons (Brian) is in NC. I think he's heading out of town for the holidays and I don't think he has any babies left, but you could reach out to him and see if he can help out.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you! I'm really excited. I found some terrariums on craigslist and my hubby even helped with the search so I think he is warming up to the idea of anothe addition to the family. ;D

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the fold soto speak!!
The fact Hubby is looking into vivs, ect ect is a good sign.
I do have juviniles and babys available but I am not even thinking of shipping till after the holidays. Weather is the next hurtle.
Feel free to check out my site and if you have any questions fire away.
Tom

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
One day I said to my boyfriend "I really like bearded dragons" and a few days later there was one moving in with us! He was really distraught at first and unsure about the entire situation, but after a bit of education and hands on experience he really warmed up to our beardie. He loves feeding the crickets and holding Puff when we're watching TV or playing videogames. Puff will sit nicely next to his computer keyboard and watch the screen. Lately, he's been mentioning a lot how "cool" and "awesome" the beardie is!

All our friends who come over love Puff too. They ask a lot of questions, which is awesome, because I love sharing the information I've learned. I've had people who were terrified of reptiles come over and leave adoring beardies and how friendly and chill they are!

:)

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
WoW! Thank you all soooo much for the support and advice. I did check out the TND site...Awesome! I have to follow up with someone about a viv. I would like to be set up before I bring him/her home :D
I found a 3 ft long, 1 ft high and 18" wide tank on craiglist is that ok? I thought the rec. was 36x18x18
Just checking. I have seen a lot of "tricked out" vivs on this site... I think someone should create a show- Trick my Viv!- I'd watch it-lol

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
srabeardie said:
WoW! Thank you all soooo much for the support and advice. I did check out the TND site...Awesome! I have to follow up with someone about a viv. I would like to be set up before I bring him/her home :D
I found a 3 ft long, 1 ft high and 18" wide tank on craiglist is that ok? I thought the rec. was 36x18x18
Just checking. I have seen a lot of "tricked out" vivs on this site... I think someone should create a show- Trick my Viv!- I'd watch it-lol

Firstly welcome and good luck trying to convince the other half. The enclosure dimensions can work you just won't have much room to decorate and you will need a "topper" for the tank to mount the lights or mount them suspended above the tank.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is recommended for an adult dragon to have a minimum 36 x 18 x 18. I would worry about the 1 foot high. You don't want the lights too close to your dragon. And as Lance points out, you won't be able to put much furniture in there.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello Renee,
Does 36x12x18 sound correct to you. I'm thinking that the person selling me her tank may have the dimensions incorrect because I have never heard of 12" tall. What do you think.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Everyone's right... a 36 x 18 x18 is minimum for an adult, though some of us have taken the plunge and made our own by hand... Mine aren't pretty.. but certainly functional, and three were designed for Mega Ray MVBs.

I would hold off on the Pet shop baby and wait for one of Tom's lovers... they eat, They bath, they inhale veggies... and what colors and personality... But then I'm a tad bit prejudiced... I have one of his April girls... She's just a darlin !

Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there! Welcome to our best kept secret we like to tell everyone. ;D

Renee is correct, Brian is in NC, and I am also. Two different locations. I live near Raleigh.
You're welcome to bring the hubby and get acquainted with my animals. They range in age and species here and it's possible he may find his own little "nitch" and in turn, let you have yours. I can also help you with setups and lighting, and key you in on more "local" areas to find certian items.

Tom has some awesome babies. Friendly, great eaters and grow like somebody added miracle grow to their diet.

I believe The Virus also breeds, but am unsure if he has any youngsters at this time.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
srabeardie said:
Hello Renee,
Does 36x12x18 sound correct to you. I'm thinking that the person selling me her tank may have the dimensions incorrect because I have never heard of 12" tall. What do you think.

Sorry for the slow response. I've been online here and there over the past couple of days. Those dimensions do seem to be a bit off. We had a 75 gallon terrarium for Bernie. And at times, we felt that was too small for him.

Latest posts