• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How can I convince my parents?!

Skinger15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. I've done my research and know everything I need to keep a happy and healthy bearded dragon. Now I just need help convincing my parents. I'm 15 and have lots of time in my day. Any tips?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
have you found an exotic vet yet and if so how will you pay for it? (just another question they may ask) the hardest and most expensive part of owning a dragon is the initial set up, tank-lighting-heat-furniture-calcium and multivitamins and a place to keep and maintain crickets or roaches. then after the dragon settles in for a few weeks, the first trip to the vet.

Skinger15

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have more then enough money to cover ALL expenses. I've researched for about a month and know what to buy and what not to buy. I was hoping to feed the beardie repti worms because crickets are loud and roaches creep me out. However I have not even thought of looking for an exotic vet in my area. Lol. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: P

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
reptiworms are great for juveniles but as they get a little bigger they are not cost effective as a 2 to 3 month old beardie can eat a whole cup at a time. they then become a supplement, and a good one. crickets or roaches are best for proper feeding and growth when young. a small beardie will eat 10 to 20 appropriately sized crickets two to three times a day, it'll take a whole lot of reptiworms to match that. as they get older, about 8 months old you can start switching to superworms which are easy to keep and dont make any noise. its what i use. go to www.arav.org and on the left side click on member directory. on the next page fill in your state and country you should get good results for exotics in your area. if you have trouble, let us know.

Reactions: P

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When i was getting my first reptile I chose to get a beardie! I went to my dad because he is the more laid back parent and talked to him about it. He Then said we would sit down with my mom and talk about it. I was around 15 so same age as you. Let your parents know you are responsable and you kn ow how to care for the animal. Also let them know that beardies are GREAT starter lizards because they are VERY VERY calm and tame! NEVER bite.. Just stuff to make it seem better:)

Mountain Bearded Dragons

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well tell them it is time to have a little responibilty, and go on youtube and type classyherps and he has a video on what to say. Also prove that you can take care of one and prove them it is time like help them and be good all that good stuff.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i hate to say this to you but i am againest most teens owning b.d's because of the feeding demands and possible vet costs so i cant add to your arguement its average $80 per month in feeding costs

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i hate to say this to you but i am againest most teens owning b.d's because of the feeding demands and possible vet costs so i cant add to your arguement its average $80 per month in feeding costs
Well i'm 15 and my beardie is happy as ever. I dont think that "teens" are the problem.my Neighbors who are 30 years old hardly even feed theres. It just depends who the person is. If they are responsible enough to know thats its there and living, they'll feed them and give them what they need.

Cody Badger

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey i know this might be a bad suggestion but buy one anyways and tell them that your lonely and NEED a friend and you were expecting them to understand. give them the guilt trip. worked for me when i wanted a pet when i was your age. ;)

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well i'm 15 and my beardie is happy as ever. I dont think that "teens" are the problem.my Neighbors who are 30 years old hardly even feed theres. It just depends who the person is. If they are responsible enough to know thats its there and living, they'll feed them and give them what they need.
everyones liable to have there own set of issues but i can guarantee that i could go online and find every teenage owner and 75% of them will be housed together in a 20 gallon tank and fed twice weekly

Cody Badger

Bearded Dragon Egg
everyones liable to have there own set of issues but i can guarantee that i could go online and find every teenage owner and 75% of them will be housed together in a 20 gallon tank and fed twice weekly
thats true and i can also expect why the parents wouldnt expect him to be able to care for it properly right away. BUT he said he has looked at there info for about a month ad most 15 year olds dont join a forum where they can get useful information, especially a forum meant for bearded dragons. So he seems legit to me. but then again that isnt that much proof. but i think he deserves a chance.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
its not that i dont trust teenagers its just i dont trust anyone who doesent have a job with money to spend because we all know what it takes to feed these guys teenagers are just the majority of that part and being that he is 15 in most states he legally cant even get a job im all for teens keeping reptiles just not bearded dragons theres so many unexpected costs that we occur and i even sometimes freak out a bit and ive been doing this for quite a while theres nothing wrong with a fish tank or a ball python there cheap easy to feed and less likely to need a vets care

Cody Badger

Bearded Dragon Egg
its not that i dont trust teenagers its just i dont trust anyone who doesent have a job with money to spend because we all know what it takes to feed these guys teenagers are just the majority of that part and being that he is 15 in most states he legally cant even get a job im all for teens keeping reptiles just not bearded dragons theres so many unexpected costs that we occur and i even sometimes freak out a bit and ive been doing this for quite a while theres nothing wrong with a fish tank or a ball python there cheap easy to feed and less likely to need a vets care
well i appreciate your care and concern in these wonderful creatures.

Latest posts