• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Housing Question *Fast Response Appreciated*

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So, here is the 411. I'm a new Daddy to a baby girl and the mother (my Girlfriend) is going away for training for her new job for two weeks. For those 2 weeks I'm going to be staying at my moms house which is only like 4 miles away (in case i need help with the baby at any time). I'd much rather bring my bearded dragon to my mothers house with me than leave her at home, that way she can get as much attention as she wants/needs. I feel like i have neglected her since I've been so per-occupied with baby stuff. I also would rather not stress her out a ridiculous amount, T'zar (my beardie) has been to my mothers house plenty of times that's actually where i lived when i first bought her and i just let her run around most of the time so i don't think it should be much of a problem. But I'm wondering for her sleeping arrangement, could i temporarily keep her in a smaller cage or possibly a big storage tub with her heat lamp just so that way i don't have to leave her alone all day long?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Leaving her run around most of the time is not the best of plans in the first place, as she is not in the controlled environment that she needs. Being without UVB for 2 weeks is also not the best of plans & could very well be detrimental to her health. It would be a stressful change to be housed in a large tub with the proper lighting, but feasible. Could you not transport the whole enclosure to your mothers for the 2 weeks?

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
When i say let her run around most of the time what i mean by that is when I'm at home i let her out to go explore for a few hours and then put her back in her tank. Also i would probably just have brought the UVB bulb with me but its no big deal. I set up her UVB to be on a timer and I go to my house everyday anyways so I'll just feed her then. Yesterday i ran to my house and cleaned out her cage and baked all her furniture, after i had got her tank all put back together she went potty. The Poop/urine was fresh out of the slit and i went to clean it up the urine portion was rock solid. I couldn't even squeeze the spot, i you not it was solid as a rock and the actual poop part was normal feeling poop. Any idea what this might mean?

Moderated

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have experience the hard Urates also (From the Dragons ;)) , but have never had any issues because of it.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Also i would probably just have brought the UVB bulb with me but its no big deal. I set up her UVB to be on a timer and I go to my house everyday anyways so I'll just feed her then. Moderated

I wouldn't recommend going any period of time without the heat lamp though! It's necessary for digestion. Wouldn't want the poor dragon to get food sitting in its belly not digesting.

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So its nothing to worry about? I was kind of concerned but i guess i will stop worrying about that. I was thinking maybe an entire diet overhaul was needed lol. Actually another diet question, i live on a small island and our grocery stores would probably be considered very small compared to most places and our fruit and veggie sections are lacking veggies that my Bearded Dragon should be eating. Beside romaine lettuces and carrot tops she doesn't eat much of any veggies. I know places discourage the idea of picking dandelion greens from outside, but there are so many places i can pick them from and i know for a fact no pesticides have been sprayed in those places. What would you say?

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I wouldn't recommend going any period of time without the heat lamp though! It's necessary for digestion. Wouldn't want the poor dragon to get food sitting in its belly not digesting.

Oh yeah, she has a Black Light Heat Bulb and i just keep it on all the time. She's got a large Turtle tank so one of the sides has a big hole for a filter so i figured that enough airflow goes through the tank that keeping the heat lamp on all the time would be a okay. When she doesn't wants to sleep she usually goes on the unheated side.

Ill check out that nutrition list. Thank-You guys!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Colored lights bother dragons. It would be better to go with a clear/bright white bulb.
Also, it's not needed at night unless the temps drop below mid 60s, I would recommend a CHE if you need night time heat.

Latest posts