• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Housefly/maggots

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We all got talking a while back on raising or taking insects from the wild and making them safe to feed off. Would houseflys or the maggots be ok to feed if they were bred in a clean environment and all? It seems to be a bug that is everywhere around here and I might as well put them to good use if they would be ok to feed. Just wondering

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do not see how it would be much different from phoenix worms/soldier grubs, as they are nothing more than maggots of certain flies. I would research it more but at face value I see nothing blatantly wrong.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think the biggest issue would be diet, I may be wrong but house fly maggots I think need to eat rotten feed. That would be an issue due to possible toxins in the maggots (least id think it would)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good point. I'm sure it's possible to figure out a healthy fly/maggot diet though

Latest posts