• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HORNWORMS

Kimby37

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
New at all this and couldn't find if this question had been asked. How many do you feed your dragon at a time? I read 1 hornworm=lots of crickets. Thank you for answering:)

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well most people feed their animals once every 3 days but thats wrong...i feed both of mine horn worms,crickets,superworms(i advise against superworms but theyre easier to keep than crickets though youll notice your beardie may not always be able to digest their hard exoskeleton) and a variety of fruits and veggies except for tomatoes bc of the folic acid in them.anyway just feed them as many as theyll consume in 15 minutes and be careful of the size of the worm but theyre an excellant source of nutrients and arent as fatty as lousy waxworms....i also hear pheonix worms are good though ive never used them but apparently they look like a waxworm but are high in calcium and have way less fat.my older beardies a yr old and eats anywhere from 4-6 hornworms in a sitting if im only giving them hornworms for the day.i usually like to offer 2 hornworms,around 10 crickets and some fresh vegetables though...if youre offering fruit youll find that some bearded dragons go nuts over raspberries but its good to not offer too much fruit bc it gives them the runs.hope i could help :)

Kimby37

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Was just wondering about the hornworms. I give her fresh greens everyday she usually eats half in the am then the rest at some point in the day. Usually in the evening after i give her her crickets. But i heard one hornworm is like giving her a bunch of crickets.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We feed ours every day, horn worms 3 or four times a week 3 to 5 hornworms at a time with super worms and dubia we don’t feed crickets at all except for our hatchlings, they smell and dubia are better.

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
eh...its prob the equivalant of 4 crickets if its a medium sized worm.everything gets compressed in their stomachs...i just ordered some pheonix worms today and read somewhere that bc of the calcium levels i wouldnt have to dust them and their safe enough to be a staple to any diet...what kind of tortoise have ya got?my girlfriend has two red foots that have opposite personalities

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
We feed ours every day, horn worms 3 or four times a week 3 to 5 hornworms at a time with super worms and dubia we don’t feed crickets at all except for our hatchlings, they smell and dubia are better.
yeah...crickets do smell and theyre a pain to keep bc they eat eachother and get that nasty black rot if theyre in the same container more than a few weeks.ive never tried the roaches before but im contemplating...

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Was just wondering about the hornworms. I give her fresh greens everyday she usually eats half in the am then the rest at some point in the day. Usually in the evening after i give her her crickets. But i heard one hornworm is like giving her a bunch of crickets.
They are much better then crickets .crickets are mostly all exoskeleton

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i have no reason to buy it(since im not and dont plan on trying to breed my guys-theyre strictly two solid pets and thats enough) but repashy makes a pigment enhancement dust that containes beta carotene for reptiles...i thought of buying a small 4 oz container just to see what it would do if i included it in their diet since every review ive read actually claims it makes your animals colors more vivid but could levels of that supplement possibly be unsafe?

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We used around 14,000 crickets a month

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i have no reason to buy it(since im not and dont plan on trying to breed my guys-theyre strictly two solid pets and thats enough) but repashy makes a pigment enhancement dust that containes beta carotene for reptiles...i thought of buying a small 4 oz container just to see what it would do if i included it in their diet since every review ive read actually claims it makes your animals colors more vivid but could levels of that supplement possibly be unsafe?

I would not use it but thats me .

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i need help with red eyed crocodile skinks bc online care sheets are very bland and every youtube videos a lousy opinion.im doing good w the pair i have now but so far its been a system of trial and error with figuring out what they like....today i was suprised to find they literally hounded the nightcrawlers i tossed in that were supposed to just aid in keeping the soil for the terrarium plants in good shape....despite the fact that i offered them crickets and soaked them in a covered breeder cage for about 2 hours prior

Kimby37

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What about the hissing roaches? The people at the reptile place we go to suggested these. I hate the crickets they are gross she loves them but the again she loves the hornworms too and the occasional wax worm.

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i just want mine comfortable enough to mate bc theyre truly are an amazing looking animal and they show parental traits and lay an average of 1 egg a year if they even mate at all...its a shame more than 90% of them available are wild caught.skittish is an understatement when it comes to their secretive behavior

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What about the hissing roaches? The people at the reptile place we go to suggested these. I hate the crickets they are gross she loves then but then again she loves the hornworms too and the occasional wax worm.
hissin roaches are probably expensive but prob offer the same nutrition as the dubias

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What about the hissing roaches? The people at the reptile place we go to suggested these. I hate the crickets they are gross she loves then but then again she loves the hornworms too and the occasional wax worm.
the dubia cant climb smooth plastic and they breed good .

Kimby37

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
eh...its prob the equivalant of 4 crickets if its a medium sized worm.everything gets compressed in their stomachs...i just ordered some pheonix worms today and read somewhere that bc of the calcium levels i wouldnt have to dust them and their safe enough to be a staple to any diet...what kind of tortoise have ya got?my girlfriend has two red foots that have opposite personalities
We thought we bought a Herman's tortoise. When i asked what kind of hermans on the tortoise forum, most said eastern or dalmatian. One person said Greek. I'm a little upset if the falsely sold me him as a hermans if he is a greek. But here is a picture of him...
28i7wq1.jpg

Kimby37

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
the dubia cant climb smooth plastic and they breed good .
We ended up buying the hissing roaches to try to breed them. Maybe we should take them back(they said we could take them back if we wanted to) and get the others. But my son likes the hissing ones he holds them and wants to name them he thinks they are cool. he looked up on the computer that people have them as pets.

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
We ended up buying the hissing roaches to try to breed them. Maybe we should take them back(they said we could take them back if we wanted to) and get the others. But my son likes the hissing ones he holds them and wants to name them he thinks they are cool. he looked up on the computer that people have them as pets.
lol yeah they are moreso pets and wont reproduce easy?...if your sons a little kid he might be disappointed when the roaches get woofed down in the course of a week though.

Kimby37

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
lol yeah they are moreso pets and wont reproduce easy?...if your sons a little kid he might be disappointed when the roaches get woofed down in the course of a week though.
I'll wait for them to reproduce and feed the baby ones to the pets.(we have a leopard gecko too) He is 9 and knows why we bought them. They don't breed easy? They said they take about a month or 2 to breed and then they about 40-80 a month.

Latest posts