• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hornworms

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ordered some hornworms last night from Mulberry Farms. Unfortunately, they won't get shipped out 'til Monday. :-[

Anyway, how hard is it to raise/breed them? Is it as difficult or similar to that of silkworms? (hoping it's easier)

This will be the first time Frodo and Sam has ever seen them. Frodo absolutely LOVED silkworms....so I'm anxious to see how he reacts. Need to buy some more silkworms, now, too. I think Frodo's pretty bored with his food.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am unsure as I have never bred them myself but from what I understand the breeding and care for horns is almost identical to silks. I have never bred either as I am not much for things that can fly lol.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay. Thanks. Not that silkies were hard....just hoping hornworms are a bit more "robust".

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
Id be willing to bet Gina or janie has a good point of contact for breeding em

Good point! Hopefully, they'll see this, soon.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hey Craig........it's doable.
But horns require more feedings than silks and although they are a hardier worm, their demand for food makes them a little harder. Believe me...........they can go thru some food even as tiny hatchlets

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
hey Craig........it's doable.
But horns require more feedings than silks and although they are a hardier worm, their demand for food makes them a little harder. Believe me...........they can go thru some food even as tiny hatchlets

Okay. I'll keep that in mind. Like silks, do they require only the food sold for hornworms?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
there are two formulas for horn food. But they can't start out on one of them and switch to another. Essentially they're raised on mulberry food (same as silks) or leaves....and the other type which is formulated by the distributor.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have never bred them because from what I have been told and read about they are difficult. You have to feed the moths sugar water and have the right environment. The moths are big. I have hatched hornworm eggs, though. Did it once, never again. OMG, those hatchlings eat nonstop. If they run out of food, they eat each other and they will travel. I kept the ones under 3/4" in plastic shoe boxes with plastic netting and holes drilled in the sides with the lid on. Once they get to 3/4", they are easy. Just don't let them run out of food. ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
pscaulkins said:
I have never bred them because from what I have been told and read about they are difficult. You have to feed the moths sugar water and have the right environment. The moths are big. I have hatched hornworm eggs, though. Did it once, never again. OMG, those hatchlings eat nonstop. If they run out of food, they eat each other and they will travel. I kept the ones under 3/4" in plastic shoe boxes with plastic netting and holes drilled in the sides with the lid on. Once they get to 3/4", they are easy. Just don't let them run out of food. ;D

I'm thinking buying them on occasion doesn't seem like such a bad idea, now. LOL! These guys actually sound MORE difficult than silkies.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll order in like 3-7 containers... 7 if I am going in with someone else locally.
Janie

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
I'll order in like 3-7 containers... 7 if I am going in with someone else locally.
Janie

Yeah, that would definitely help with shipping. I only ordered 2 habitats as I don't know how the beardies are going to do with them. If they like them, I might try to find somebody locally to go in on them with me.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
Just remember.. they are ..BLUE !
*chortles*
Janie

They are blue now? Awww, those would be cool. I haven't ordered any in about 6 months. Thinking of getting 4 containers when the weather stablizes around here. Semi and Jada loves them..Magick not so much.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Blue? They look green to me....but then, Bev says I'm a bit color blind. We tend to disagree over this at times. Mostly shades. Like, there are things I swear are orange and she says they're red. I just smile and let her think she's right. ;D

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I thought the blue green argument was settled a long time ago?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
I thought the blue green argument was settled a long time ago?

Uh, oh. Looks like I may have opened a can of......worms! LOL!

Latest posts