• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hissing?

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok. I needed some more advice. My dragon has changed a lot over the past month. He is less nice and sweet, he doesn't seem to wanna be bothered much.
Maybe he's going through a phase?

Just before he hissed at me when I touched his foot..

donnab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
How old is your beardie? Some of them become a little difficult when they reach a certain age, kind of like teens. Some of them never go through this, but some do. Don't show fear and know that this is usually a phase.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sounds like a phase. Yoyo went through this for a little while. I would just pick him up anyway when he hissed at me. Took a couple of weeks but he got over himself.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not saying this is the case with yours, but mines ticklish / sensitive on her feet. She jerks and kicks if i touch them. Even hissed at me once.
Maybe yours was startled by the sudden unexpected sensation.
Just keep petting (Ive seen they like the head and backs stroked), and maybe avoid the feet.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Pogie said:
Not saying this is the case with yours, but mines ticklish / sensitive on her feet. She jerks and kicks if i touch them. Even hissed at me once.
Maybe yours was startled by the sudden unexpected sensation.
Just keep petting (Ive seen they like the head and backs stroked), and maybe avoid the feet.

Lol ticklish thats so cute :). BeeGee flails his arms at me when I touch his toesies. I never considered they could be ticklish. However i've never heard a beardie hiss before :)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
However i've never heard a beardie hiss before

Very similar to what a snake does. They puff out their beard and blow air out their throats, Scares you if youre not expecting it. But then again I guess thats the point. LOL

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah it did make me a little nervous. I just told him I won't tolerate that **** =]

He has never puffed his beard out, but he hissed.

He is about, 3 months old. I'm guessing it could be a stage huh?

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Henry hissed at the vet once as if to say - hey, don't mess with me, I'm a big bad boy and I can prove it! - lol.

He runs around mostly on carpet so his nails are long & SHARP - I've taken to filing them. He doesn't seem to mind, so would assume he's not the ticklish type.

Your guy probably was abit scared. Just remember to move slowly. Try talking in a higher than normal voice when speaking to him and keep your hands in plain sight. Quick, movements, dark flashes (i.e., clothing - like long sleaves, towles, blankets, etc), or anything moving fast over his head totally freaks out my guy. Being startled often can make them less friendly.

If your tank is near a doorway where people can suddenly walk in & out might have your buddy upset. If so, try moving it to a position where he can see approaching visitors more easily. Or, some dragons don't like too much traffic and/or noise. Some don't mind it at all - just be watchful and see what seems to calm him best.

Also any visable preditors (dogs, cats, birds) can keep them on edge. My guy hates one of my cats (the other one he climbs on - go figure?). He puffs up everytime he sees the other cat (Jack), even though Jack acts like he doesn't no Henry (my guy) exists! Henry also hates birds & like to keep a close eye on them out his favoriate window seat.

Good luck with the terrible toddler phase - cheers

Latest posts