• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

High Value Protein

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I posted about this subject a week ago, but can't find it. Anyway, here goes.
I posted about the high protein content and nutritional value of flying ants, and the fact that Bullet as well as the babies go crazy for them.
One week later there are absolutely no ill effects at all, so because the flying ants were out in full force again this past weekend I caught a whole lot and fed them to the clan again. They are about the size of three quarter size crix.
This is what Bullet did, he ate 100 flying ants on Saturday and another 100 flying ants on Sunday.
On Saturday I dusted them with Calcium and on Sunday with Vitamin D3.
It must have made a welcome treat from the normal Roaches, Crickets and Superworms.
Oh, and it saved me two days food expenses to add to the bargain.

For the babies I fed the smaller sized flying ants, about the size of half sized crickets, the babies also gobbled them down.

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
are you feeding them just like that with the wings still on ? of you taking them off ?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Flying ants are actually considered a good source of protein. The only precaution is getting them from outside where pesticides could be an issue. If pesticides aren't a problem, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use them.

One word of advice we all received from Francis....is to take them and put them in a container for a few days before feeding them to our beardies. If any pesticides were used on the bugs, they'd likely be dead within a day or two.

Oh...and Roland. One way of finding your old posts is to go to your profile and click on the link for the most recent posts for this user. In doing so, I found your thread.

Here it is.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The Flying Ants I refer to are not white ants, they do have wings but are brown in colour and some get to the size of Adult Crickets. Most of them have dropped their wings when I get to feed them to the dragons, but I do feed some with the wings still on, would this cause a problem Francis.
I do keep them in a container for two to three days before feeding them to the Beardies.
I have also been told that I have to watch out because they are inclined to be very fattening.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm assuming they're these pictured below (a queen and a male). Evidently they're a good food source birds as well as Wikipedia explains how they will often be seen gorging on them in a feeding frenzy. I can't imagine the wings would do any harm as male Dubia roaches' wings are much larger than those of the flying ants.

It's also said that they lose their wings when it's time to start a new ant colony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_ant_day

800px-FlyingAnts.jpg

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
got some last night ! will take a pic when i get home this arvo and post it ! got quite a few, just sitting at home waiting for the go ahead that they ok to feed hahahahaha if not then into the garden they go !

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Nght RideA - Those are the exact ones I have been referring to. Bullet munched down around 60 of them last night again. Feed some to your little chap, they love them and all my babies will absolutely pig out on them. I have been feeding these to my Beardies off and on for a couple of weeks now with no side or ill effects.

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I know what ones you were talking about, but iv been on a mission to find info on them hahaha...now iv got that and il take a pic or 2 of the ones iv got at home ! there were 100s of them by the street lights, dam them for being so high up hahaha..

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am lucky. At my house we have an outside light that is fairly low, the flying ants gather around this light and on the walls of the house, we literally catch 200 at a time. Of course it is a big competition between us Human's and the 20 odd House Gecko's who gorge themselves on these same flying ants.

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hahahaha we had so many geckos out last night cause of the flying ants, and did they only pig out ! one was so fat it didnt even try move when i got close to it :p

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nght_RideA said:
hahahaha we had so many geckos out last night cause of the flying ants, and did they only pig out ! one was so fat it didnt even try move when i got close to it :p

Pics! Pics! Pics! :p