• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hiding away and not eating

simonb1986

Bearded Dragon Egg
Messages
28
Hello again everyone. I have a 10 month old male bearded dragon called JJ. In the last three weeks I have noticed that he hides away a lot and he has stopped eating. He may eat the odd locust or Roach every couple of days or so but that is about it. Just wanted to know is this a normal thing for a bearded dragon to start doing this time of year (brumation). I have double and triple checked all these temperatures and everything inside his home. Also I gave him treatment for pinworm on the 28/09/2026.
Thank you for your time.
 

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Messages
13,196
Hello again everyone. I have a 10 month old male bearded dragon called JJ. In the last three weeks I have noticed that he hides away a lot and he has stopped eating. He may eat the odd locust or Roach every couple of days or so but that is about it. Just wanted to know is this a normal thing for a bearded dragon to start doing this time of year (brumation). I have double and triple checked all these temperatures and everything inside his home. Also I gave him treatment for pinworm on the 28/09/2026.
Thank you for your time.
How are you getting temps please? 10 months is too young for brumation - it's possible but his weight should be over 300 grams and the treatment you gave for pinworms was from a fecal test that was done? What did you give? 10 months he should be eating like a horse- what kind of uvb coil or long tube and placement of the uvb please
 

simonb1986

Bearded Dragon Egg
Messages
28
How are you getting temps please? 10 months is too young for brumation - it's possible but his weight should be over 300 grams and the treatment you gave for pinworms was from a fecal test that was done? What did you give? 10 months he should be eating like a horse- what kind of uvb coil or long tube and placement of the uvb please
Thank you for your reply.My basking area is 38bto 44 Celsius.. the vet used panacur 10% and yep that was after a test for pinworm. He is weighing in at 440grams. He has an arcadia t5 bulb about 40xm up from the basking area.its placed at the hot end.
 

simonb1986

Bearded Dragon Egg
Messages
28
Also he struggled to poo. When I bath him he goes. And he should rrally be due a skin shed as well but he doesn't seem to be doing it.
 

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Messages
13,196
Also he struggled to poo. When I bath him he goes. And he should rrally be due a skin shed as well but he doesn't seem to be doing it.
How long does he bask for when basking- and the uvb is in the tank or top of screen? What are you feeding for salads- struggling to poop could be he's dehydrated - when did the appetite decrease before or after the panacur? Is he done with the med? It will effect the appetite
 

simonb1986

Bearded Dragon Egg
Messages
28
He has pretty much refused any type of salads.so I have never got him to properly eat salads. There is no mesh, it is direct in. I cant remember exactly, it was roughly around the same time. But the treatment finished on the 28th September. He does bask for quite a while. Bit if he is hidden I have to get him out in the morning and put him on the basking area otherwise he will not move all day.
How long does he bask for when basking- and the uvb is in the tank or top of screen? What are you feeding for salads- struggling to poop could be he's dehydrated - when did the appetite decrease before or after the panacur? Is he done with the med? It will effect the appetite
Has
 

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Messages
13,196
He has pretty much refused any type of salads.so I have never got him to properly eat salads. There is no mesh, it is direct in. I cant remember exactly, it was roughly around the same time. But the treatment finished on the 28th September. He does bask for quite a while. Bit if he is hidden I have to get him out in the morning and put him on the basking area otherwise he will not move all day.

Has
He needs to be eating salads- at one year he should only get insects 2-3 times per week - please start feeding salads everyday order some bsfl black soldier fly larvae large drop them on his salads in front of him to lure him to food bowl- something is going on with him not to come out to bask - get a weight on him weigh in grams watch his weight- he should not be losing weight - I can post a website for nutrition if you need it
 

simonb1986

Bearded Dragon Egg
Messages
28
There is no screen. I have tried so many dofferent things for salads. Main one being spring greens. Tried sprinkling bee nectar on it. I have tried feeding him water from a syringe, just tabbing around his mouth but also no Interest. And the not eating happened before the panacur.
 

simonb1986

Bearded Dragon Egg
Messages
28
He needs to be eating salads- at one year he should only get insects 2-3 times per week - please start feeding salads everyday order some bsfl black soldier fly larvae large drop them on his salads in front of him to lure him to food bowl- something is going on with him not to come out to bask - get a weight on him weigh in grams watch his weight- he should not be losing weight - I can post a
 

simonb1986

Bearded Dragon Egg
Messages
28
Ill try the larvae. I k ow he should be eating salads. I havent been able to entice him in yet. His weight is stable. Weighed three times now over 2 weeks and it hasn't moved. I know it should be going up. But it isn't going down either
 

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Messages
13,196
There is no screen. I have tried so many dofferent things for salads. Main one being spring greens. Tried sprinkling bee nectar on it. I have tried feeding him water from a syringe, just tabbing around his mouth but also no Interest. And the not eating happened before the panacur.
Try collards turnip greens dandelion greens some zucchini squash shredded raw sweet potato - try the bsfl to lure him to the salad bowl- what is the weather like now
 

simonb1986

Bearded Dragon Egg
Messages
28
Try collards turnip greens dandelion greens some zucchini squash shredded raw sweet potato - try the bsfl to lure him to the salad bowl- what is the weather like now
I have tried dandelion. But will try the others. The weather has been nice and warm this time of the year. Starting to cool down more in the last few days with a bit of rain
 

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Messages
13,196
I have tried dandelion. But will try the others. The weather has been nice and warm this time of the year. Starting to cool down more in the last few days with a bit of rain
Cooler weather can effect appetite - I would get the surface basking temp down to 95-100 see if that effects his behavior - I also would change the uvb bulb out - recommend every 10 -11 months- try the suggestions and see what he does- let me know
 

simonb1986

Bearded Dragon Egg
Messages
28
Cooler weather can effect appetite - I would get the surface basking temp down to 95-100 see if that effects his behavior - I also would change the uvb bulb out - recommend every 10 -11 months- try the suggestions and see what he does- let me know
Thank you very much. Ill try all that. I have uvb testers and they say it is fine but ill swap non the less
 

simonb1986

Bearded Dragon Egg
Messages
28
And i will drop the temperature down a little. Thank you so much for your help.
Thank you very much. Ill try all that. I have uvb testers and they say it is fine but ill swap non the less
And i will drop the temperature down a little. Thank you so much for your help.
 
Top