• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hides

Hulls Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hides are very bad for Dragons as when they go in the hides during the day they are not getting enough UV wich is very important. Having not enough UV can kill a Dragon. :)

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey Hulls Dragon,

Interesting post.

My experience has taught me different. I find hides to be very important. I try to offer hides at many different temps and humidity levels.

UVB is important, but not to the extent where they need it constantly. Hides offer security. Security=less stress.

Hides need to be tight and dark. Not small caves and half logs. The beardie should be able to wedge themselves in. They should look stuck. Also it should be so dark in the hides that you should need a flash light to see your dragon.

Also you should never remove your animal from their hides (unless its an emergency). Its their "safe" place and you should respect that.

Good luck with your animal!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've had mixed experiences with hides. Only 2 of my dragons use hides and that's when they want to go to bed at night. Other than that, they are always out and about. I'm pretty sure they know when they need it and as long as a UVB source is provided, they will use it when they need to. My younger dragons don't like the hides and prefer to bury themselves in their fake leaves and that's only once in a blue moon. Even when it's lights out the sleep ON TOP of the hide not inside.

Blaise2oo6

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
They are quite the individuals, that's for sure. My beardie has occasionally been in his "hide", but doesn't sleep there. It's still good to provide one, just in case. We should focus on their comfort and well-being, they didn't ask to be in our captivity. ;)

HUNTEQ

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hides CAN be the difference between life or death. In Nevada, it can get up to 120F and go down to -15F. My experience is that they need them for summer but not for winter. But I let Eragon decide if she wants to hide or come out. The only time she feels stress is when she gos to visit schools because she has to go into a smaller cage and there can be up to 600 kids or teenagers. What I find weird is that all domestic bearded dragons ARE NOT camera shy, as I take lots of pictures and videos, and she has even been featured in the local news.

Nancy_alex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
on the topic of hides...so tight dark spots are best for a hide...does anyone have any suggestions on one I could buy...like the exo terra xlarge hide...currently she wedges her self behind a large peice of drift wood, under her hammock on top of river rocks...its not very dark althoug it is on the cool side of her tank..any suggestions.... thanks

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nancy_alex said:
on the topic of hides...so tight dark spots are best for a hide...does anyone have any suggestions on one I could buy...like the exo terra xlarge hide...currently she wedges her self behind a large peice of drift wood, under her hammock on top of river rocks...its not very dark althoug it is on the cool side of her tank..any suggestions.... thanks
instead of going to the store and buying one that might not fit her needs, you can always make one with some styrofoam and grout...theres tons of videos on youtube on how to do it and i made my own too...i have no creative talent or skills with making things but i managed to do it so it proves jus about anyone can too

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I bought a wonderful log for Harley...the center is pretty much hollow...well now she uses this as her hide...total cost $12.99 !!

Lotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
:) Freda has what looks like a hump back bridge with the middle hollow. She hides in that occasionally. Then she uses the top to bask at a lower le vel than her normal basking spot. I find she goes to the coolest corner behind some greenery to relax, she sleeps here as well 50% of the time. I have found having Freda a marvellous pet. She really is funny when on form.

Latest posts