• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi guys!! New owner here!

Savai

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, I'm glad to be a part of this group now I've owned red eared sliders and many different species of fish before but this is my first Beardie. I'm excited and nervous at the same time but I plan on doing my best! His name is Drogon... well, I think it' a he. That's what I was told at least. Lol. Anyway.. I currently have a heating rock in there for him because that's what was included in the setup. He seems to enjoy it but should I leave it on at night since I shut all the lights off for him to sleep?

Also, I know he's young so he prefers insects but I'm trying to feed him veggies as well. Currently (until I go to the grocery store later today,) I've given him a salad of green beans and carrots and it looks like he tried it but I don't think he likes them. Any easier way to find out what he likes? Should I just hand feed him some veggies to see if he likes It?

Another thing is handling him. He seems skittish at the moment and tries to get away from me. Anyway to make it easier for him to trust me more? Or could it be that we just brought him home so he's scared?

Sorry for all the questions and concerns. I just want to make sure my beardie is as happy as can be! Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180320_103229_777.jpg
    IMG_20180320_103229_777.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 20

Aubs15

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome to the forum! I’m also a new beardie owner as well :) there’s tons of info on here about how your new guys set up should be. Even though it seems like he may enjoy the heat rock, I would suggest taking it out. They don’t understand when it gets to hot for them and it can cause them burns on their undersides. As for the greens my little guy doesn’t eat them much either but offer them everyday anyways, eventually they will start to eat them. They generally do 80% bugs/proteins when they’re small. I would try mustard and collard greens instead of the green beans. The carrots are good just make sure you do them extra small like with a cheese grater. Your little guy is so cute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savai

Bearded Dragon Egg
He does love his little rock but I think I'll just remove it for safety measures and place a normal basking rock there for him. I'l try those veggies and see if he likes them better. Thanks!!

Savai

Bearded Dragon Egg
And also, I'm worried about handling him. He seems kinda skittish right now. He let us take him out yesterday and sat fine for awhile on us. But he still doesn't let us pick him up so easily the other times. Like he wants to run away. I'm not sure how I should approach this. Any suggestions anyone?

NorbertTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
And also, I'm worried about handling him. He seems kinda skittish right now. He let us take him out yesterday and sat fine for awhile on us. But he still doesn't let us pick him up so easily the other times. Like he wants to run away. I'm not sure how I should approach this. Any suggestions anyone?
it can take time for them to warm up to you. Just be patient and eventually he'll learn to trust you. I'm new to keeping beardies too and just got Norbert two days ago.

shelbyk13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, I'm glad to be a part of this group now I've owned red eared sliders and many different species of fish before but this is my first Beardie. I'm excited and nervous at the same time but I plan on doing my best! His name is Drogon... well, I think it' a he. That's what I was told at least. Lol. Anyway.. I currently have a heating rock in there for him because that's what was included in the setup. He seems to enjoy it but should I leave it on at night since I shut all the lights off for him to sleep?

Also, I know he's young so he prefers insects but I'm trying to feed him veggies as well. Currently (until I go to the grocery store later today,) I've given him a salad of green beans and carrots and it looks like he tried it but I don't think he likes them. Any easier way to find out what he likes? Should I just hand feed him some veggies to see if he likes It?

Another thing is handling him. He seems skittish at the moment and tries to get away from me. Anyway to make it easier for him to trust me more? Or could it be that we just brought him home so he's scared?

Sorry for all the questions and concerns. I just want to make sure my beardie is as happy as can be! Thanks!!
From my experience I would never put a heating rock in the tank or a heating pad underneath. Beardies don't regulate heat from underneath so they could end up burning themselves. At night I have a heating pad stuck on the side of the tank and he cuddles right up on his small towel next to it :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NorbertTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
From my experience I would never put a heating rock in the tank or a heating pad underneath. Beardies don't regulate heat from underneath so they could end up burning themselves. At night I have a heating pad stuck on the side of the tank and he cuddles right up on his small towel next to it :)

that sounds sooo cute!

shelbyk13

Bearded Dragon Egg
How long have you had him? I've had a couple of new beardies I would sit there and talk to them in there tank (sounds like a crazy beardie mom) for a few days. The stress from moving and getting used to their new home I never tried to handle them right away. He will definitely warm up to you I would start slowly taking him out and keep a good eye on him. Especially make sure there is nothing to hide around!

Savai

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've only had him for 3 days now. I try to pet him and interact with him here and then so he can get used to me. I just gotta be patient!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and to beardies.. You are in for a fun time! Just give him time to get adjusted to his new home and all. Yes beardies do not sense heat from below and will burn his belly.. below several of our comments you will see a few links (also found in the general care section) we have covered all areas of care for new comers and should answer alot of your questions..

When you talk to him speak softly and let him get used to your hand being in his tank, make sure you come from in front of him and never from behind or from above as the shadow you will cast will send him into a fight or flight response as they have a gland on top of their heads (its the 1 scale in the middle that doesn't look like the others) it is called their 3rd eye (periatial eye) that detects predators from above.
be patient and take your time you have to gain his trust and once you got that it's amazing..

Latest posts