• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi from the zoo, looking for advice

ZillasMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm putting my introduction and question together to save typing most all of it over again. My name is Michelle, I'm a new (2 days ago) Mom to a 4 yr old male Bearded Dragon. The name he came with is Godzilla, but I'm calling him Zilla. His last home started to not having time for him so he hasn't been handled in a while. They also said they kept him on sand and then switched to the green carpet and that made him even more aggressive. I read quite a few places that sand was bad for them so I have opted to use newspaper. I got him late in the evening on Monday night, when we got home we just put him in the tank and let him be. (with food and water of course) In the mean time I ran all his belongings through the dishwasher, not only did it all look dirty it smelled. Tuesday morning I set his tank up with all his stuff and gave him a small plate of cut up veggies. (tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers, that is what we had it here) I then went to the pet store to get him the pelleted food he was used to and some crickets (he was only offered them as a rare treat) When I got home he hadn't ate any of the veggies, but had a big pile of pooh. When I came in the room he banged his head on the glass trying to get me. I gave him some of the pellets in his dish and let him be. I didn't want to offer him any crickets until they had time to eat. Every time all day when I went to check on him he would lunge and whap his head on the glass. When my 14 yr old came home he didn't listen to my "Don't bother Zilla" and used the tongs to hand feed Zilla a cricket. Later on in the evening I was hand feeding the Leopard Gecko (that problem is posted on a Gecko forum) some chicken and veggie baby food. Well I thought maybe Zilla might like a bit so I offered him some. He clamped right down on the spoon and seemed to really like it. All together he might have had a teaspoon full. Then I left him be for the rest of the night. Today he seemed to be more sleepy and less active then the first day here and he never lunged at me at all. All he ate today was the 2 crickets my 14 yr old once again fed him, I need to have his hearing checked ;) As of 8 tonight when he went to bed there were no droppings in is cage. Since I'm a new Mom I would love some advice on how I should proceed with Zilla, I want him to have a long happy life. Thanks for taking the time to read his story.

BTW- The "Zoo" consists of Zilla, Trex the Leopard Gecko, 2 Saint Bernards, 1 Coon dog mix, 2 fish tanks and 32 birds.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Michelle,
He is more than likly, under nourished and going thru relocation stress. There is a great care sheet on here that will help you alot. Also dont hand feed it makes for a problem dragon in the future. I feed my adults bugs every 2 to 3 days and veggies everyday. Mine eat a dozen or 2 at a sitting easy. check out this site for nutrtional info and I think you will find it useful.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com
keep use posted
tom

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome to our forum

I agree it is most likely relocation stress. I would suggest getting to know your dragon. On a side note, bearded dragons are not meant to eat meat. The amount of protein and fat in chicken or any meat could lead to fatty liver disease for a bearded dragon. Stick with salad and insects (crickets, roaches, phoenix worms).

An adult dragon should eat salad daily and proteins every other day.

I agree with not using sand. Yes, I've used it in the past, but it harbours bacteria. Newspaper is fine. Consider laying down tile. You can lay papertowels on the bottom and the tiles can be cut to size for your viv.

Here's a link to our care sheet:
Bearded Dragon Care

Latest posts