• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Helping a Beardie Post-Neglect?

CrownedCorpse

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, I am a first time owner of a reptile(I've wanted one for a long time, so I've done some extensive research, and have family who's owned a Nile Monitor lizard before as a resource), let alone a Bearded Dragon, and recently adopted a 2 yr old Beardie about a month back (named Inkol, he's my inky and I love him v much) who was neglected pretty badly by his previous owner. He's around 11-13 inches, antisocial, and underweight. I'm not sure how much he weighs, he doesn't like being held at all and i'm working on socializing him again after not being touched for a year and a half. Before I got him, his last owners were feeding him kale often, and only two dozen crickets every two weeks, and they didn't clean the cage very often. The girl who owned him stopped taking him out of his tank after he started trying to get out of her hands and explore when he was around 6 months old, and she would tap on the glass when he scratched at it or climbed on the screen top.

His color looks much better and less dark than he was before, his patterning is coming out some more, and his beard is more orange than dark. He's a little fleshier, and he's more animated and interactive with his environment. His stool is a good color and consistency and fairly regular (2-3 times a week or so).

I have him in about a 40 gallon tank with a hidey hole and a basking platform and a water-bowl that he splashes in until it fills with sand, a 75W UVA bulb that stays on most of the day and a source of natural sunlight for the morning and the early afternoon from an adjacent, east facing window, as well as a 150W night heat bulb. He's eating a steady diet of yellow squash, dandelion greens, and four or five superworms a day and a few crickets every day, rolled in calcium-carbonate D3 twice a week. He's excited about food time, and today I pet him for a whole minute before he flattened out and got squirmy and tried to eat my finger. (A big accomplishment!)

SO, I'm looking to make sure I'm doing okay with helping him get back to healthy, and am looking for tips on socializing him more. I've ordered a leash for him to let him run around when I take him out, so I can have him out and active without having to hold him all the time, since he's not too keen on that yet. Keeping him from jumping and nipping whenever I open the cage is not necessary, but would be a nice bonus if only so I don't worry every time he falls back down :'D

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Be patient with him and I'm sure he will come around. That is really small for his age so it will take some time to undo what's been done and he starts to trust you.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Now that he's with you and being cared for properly, he'll probably start trusting you fairly quickly. My girl wasn't socialized much, but wasn't nippy at all. Sometimes she is still a bit standoff-ish, but she's coming around quite well. With some patience and a lot of love, your little guy should be just fine. Thank you for taking him in! After all he's been through, he's lucky to have you.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
[QUOTE="I have him in about a 40 gallon tank with a hidey hole and a basking platform and a water-bowl that he splashes in until it fills with sand, a 75W UVA bulb that stays on most of the day and a source of natural sunlight for the morning and the early afternoon from an adjacent, east facing window, as well as a 150W night heat bulb. He's eating a steady diet of yellow squash, dandelion greens, and four or five superworms a day and a few crickets every day, rolled in calcium-carbonate D3 twice a week.[/QUOTE]

UVB does not penetrate through glass. So having him near a closed window will not provided this needed substance. I strongly advise purchasing a reptisun 10.0 tube style UVB bulb as soon as possible. As already mentioned he can develop MBD and other deficiencies with out it.
I would leave both the UVB and UVA on for 12-14 hours a day to provide him with the correct amount of light.

Other than that just be patient and work with him every day. You can use feeding time as a good chance to bond. Allow him to see your hand putting his food in so that he will eventually associate you with food and talk to him often through out the day. He will eventually see your presence as a positive thing.
Wishing you and him the very best, please let us know if you have other questions or concerns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts