• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help?!

Ryansdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

So we picked up our vivarium today, got home, plugged it in, and put the sand in. But as I was putting the sand in, the plastic touched the ceramic heat bulb, which melted the plastic bag onto the bulb. Is the bulb still safe to use or should I go get another one?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you are using the CHE for daytime heat, you are much better off using a white or clear light type of a bulb for heat. BDs thrive on Bright, White Light, which is basically all UVA is. If your intention is to use it for night heat, BDs do not need or want night heat, unless you ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F, if they do, then a CHE should be used on a dimmer switch, just to provide enough heat to take the edge off. BDs should be allowed to cool at night, slows the metabolism for a good nights sleep.

As for the Plastic on the bulb, I am really unsure how long the fumes would be released before they basically burn off completely &\or whether it will affect the integrity or strength of the Ceramic, possibly causing it to crack or shatter. A serious judgement call, may be much safer to replace it, if a CHE is actually even needed.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
take it back to the store you got it from. and everything germ said about getting a regular bulb is correct, he knows his stuff so be sure to listen.

alsoi ask what kind of sand you are useing? is it calcium sand?

Ryansdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yup, problem sorted took it back and got a replacement. It's been used in conjunction with a UVB light, it's on a dimmer thermostat, and the light on a timer to make sure our beardie gets what he needs. Yes it is calci sand we have. We brought our jake home a few hours ago, and he seams to be settling in nicely. I'll try and upload a picture from the computer Tommorow, he is a lovely tangerine colour, he is just starting a shed, so his colours a bit dull, but hes lovely!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Calci-Sand is a very bad choice for a substrate. It can & will clump when moistened as it would be in the digestive process if ingested, posing a very high Impaction risk. Please change it out ASAP! If a particle substrate is desire & your BD is over 10" long, Strained Washed Childen's Play Sand is a much better, safer choice. There are several recent threads on the subject, if you would care to do a search.

X-ray of a Calcium impacted BD, more like a rock with legs than a living creature.
impaction01.jpg

A UVB bulb alone does not provide sufficient UVA or White light, BDs thrive on bright white light & is why I previously mentioned it. CHEs have their purpose, Daytime heat for a BD is not one of them ...

Ryansdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for your reply. I have done alot of research. The calci sand came with our viv, that was built for us by a reputable reptile store, with 25 years experience keeping and breeding beardies. we chose the ceramic heater element, on his recommendation, as they last longer, provide a more natural sun like heat, and are perfectly adequate when used with a bright UVB tube light, providing the dragon can get up close to the light.

With regards to the calci sand, the first google X-ray image of a dragon who has suffered impaction doesn't mean it was just down to the calci sand. You do not know the circumstances. Perhaps the dragon didn't have the right lights so couldn't digest it, or perhaps he was a bad hunter, and swallowed more than he should of constantly over a year of its life, perhaps he wasn't fed properly, so was digging for food. The list goes on. Fact is there's risks with everything in life, you could get hit by a car when you cross the road, but I'm sure you cross the road anyway, you could catch money it's by shaking someone's hand, but I'm sure you would shake there hand. At the end of the day, if it was extremely life threatening, they would not allow it to be sold as suitable for reptiles. There's always the chance a guinea pig coud get tied p in a long strand of hay, or a rabbit could choke in a stringy piece of celery, yet they are still used, but owners are just carefully to check hay, and cut up celery, as I will watch my dragon eating, and check his poo for any sand. If I think he is eating it, then I will change substrate, if not, then at least it is digestible in small quantities, unlike children's play sand.

You may not agree with using it, and that's your opinion, everyone is entitled to it. But I will be using it until the bags we were given have been used, I have not decided what I will use after this.

Pat B

Super Moderator
oh my....good luck with the calci-sand. I would take heed in what Germ has to say about calci-sand. Why take a chance with your beardies life if you know what you are using has very strong negative reviews? Do a search for calci-sand. You are right in everyone is entitled to their opinion....but, personally, I would never ever use calci-sand. Hope everything works out for you.....:rolleyes:

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks for your reply. I have done alot of research. The calci sand came with our viv, that was built for us by a reputable reptile store, with 25 years experience keeping and breeding beardies. we chose the ceramic heater element, on his recommendation, as they last longer, provide a more natural sun like heat, and are perfectly adequate when used with a bright UVB tube light, providing the dragon can get up close to the light.

With regards to the calci sand, the first google X-ray image of a dragon who has suffered impaction doesn't mean it was just down to the calci sand. You do not know the circumstances. Perhaps the dragon didn't have the right lights so couldn't digest it, or perhaps he was a bad hunter, and swallowed more than he should of constantly over a year of its life, perhaps he wasn't fed properly, so was digging for food. The list goes on. Fact is there's risks with everything in life, you could get hit by a car when you cross the road, but I'm sure you cross the road anyway, you could catch money it's by shaking someone's hand, but I'm sure you would shake there hand. At the end of the day, if it was extremely life threatening, they would not allow it to be sold as suitable for reptiles. There's always the chance a guinea pig coud get tied p in a long strand of hay, or a rabbit could choke in a stringy piece of celery, yet they are still used, but owners are just carefully to check hay, and cut up celery, as I will watch my dragon eating, and check his poo for any sand. If I think he is eating it, then I will change substrate, if not, then at least it is digestible in small quantities, unlike children's play sand.

You may not agree with using it, and that's your opinion, everyone is entitled to it. But I will be using it until the bags we were given have been used, I have not decided what I will use after this.
ok, A CHE make NO UVA light which a bearded dragon NEEDS to live it WILL die without it regardless of what any "Expert" tells you. also calcium sand IS bad for a bearded dragon regardless of what this "expert" told you. believe it or not we here at this bearded dragon forum know a thing or two about bearded dragons. Germ has had many, many bearded dragons that lived years and years, if i recall he even had one that was 11 years old.

if Germ says something about bearded dragons, it is normally not his opinion but a fact from his years of experience in working with bearded dragons.

we have had this same conversation with several members in the past, and some of them did not listen, and as a result a bearded dragon died.

I know you want whats best for your bearded dragon, you showed that by joining this forum. now we can not force you to listen to us, all we can do is hope you make the right choice for your bearded dragon.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are so many products that a listed as BD safe by manufacturers that are not & experience has proven differently. That was not found by googling, although it may come up there. It was just a good graphic example of the many instances that have happened. Have fun checking his poo, Calci-sand clumps together when moistened, can become large enough to cause a blockage, natural sand does not & will pass right through so you would likely find sand in the poo if ingested, it's what you don't find in the poo that is the concern.

And yes, you are right, it is your opinion & what you do is ultimately up to you & what you consider 'Acceptable' risks. It definitely would not be mine with all the alternatives out there.

Same with the CHE\UVB combination for daytime heat\light, BDs thrive on Bright White Light as they would get from the Sun, which is basically what UVA is, bright visible light. While UVB bulbs do provide some UVA, simply because they shed low levels of light, a 20 watt UVB bulb does not provide enough, even the manufacturers recommend a brighter, high output, supplemental light source along with them. If you are using a 6' 6o watt tube, possibly ...

You have been provided with good info, do what you will with it :) .

Good Luck to you & yours.

EDIT:
@ ThDude - Yes my first BD, Drago is still alive & doing well at 10+ years old, as are all the BDs I have kept over the years, save one. I wouldn't say that a BD will suddenly die without sufficient UVA, but it's expected overall lifespan will very likely be shortened without it.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Calci sand is a no go...they have repti carpet, very easy to clean and safe for beardies.

Latest posts