• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help?

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
As some of you may already know, for the past 2 or 3 months I've been struggling to get Bayne to eat. In a weeks time, he probably only eats about 7 roaches. He has completely stopped eating any and every kind of veggie or fruit. Basically in one day, I can get him to eat one or two roaches and maybe 1mL of various different types of baby food. I have even tried adding probiotics to his baby food, and that doesn't even seem to help. I have also tried bee pollen. I have continued to keep offering them to him, but he just repeatedly turns his nose up and runs off.
He is also having difficulty going to the bathroom right now. I have tried baby food prunes and pumpkin, but that doesn't seem to have helped any either. He did go a little about two days ago, but it wasn't much at all. I'm not sure if this has to do with the fact that he isn't eating much, or if the medicine from having roundworms caused him to get backed up.
Then! Bayne also hasn't shed in about two months now, and that is really odd for him. He usually sheds every couple of weeks.
He is now somewhere between six to seven months old, so I'm not sure if I chalk this all up to age or if it's something else going on, which is why I've finally decided to compile it all together and post on here.
Bayne's temps, lights, etc... are all correct - I check them daily to be sure since there is so much going on with him right now. I haven't been able to send in a fecal to get it rechecked because he hasn't gone to the bathroom.
Any insight would be wonderful.
Also, on a side note - I have not noticed any weight loss.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Did the vet put him on Panacur? Has he had all the doses? My Norbert was the exact same way on the Panacur, exactly almost everything you said is the same as what I went through. It's like the Panacur has made them sicker and not want to eat. How many more doses does he have left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I sincerely wish I could give you some feedback - don't have any experience with this, tho. Not losing weight is good. If nothing goes in (doesn't eat) nothing comes out (poop) If he's not growing he wont shed. if he's not eating, he probably wont grow much. Many variables - age, medicine, infection;. Hang In there !

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Bayne was on Metronidazol, 3 doses and he had the last dose almost a week ago. That's what I don't understand.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wish I had advice :( I've not had to go thru this...But I agree with what Canicke said...I would just keep monitoring Bayne in all aspects weight, activity, what you give to him etc.. I have heard that it's not uncommon for them to really take a long time to get back to eating and acting somewhat normally... Keep doing slurries with the probiotics, I would mash in some dubia (gross I know but hey...and yep done it to Izzy when she went on her hunger strike) add in supplements as well.. When I do slurries these are the items I have on hand to put in: probiotic powder, dandelion powder, alfalfa powder, bee pollen, multi vit, calcium, Gerber baby all naturals: I have on hand squash, sweet potato, peas. And lastly I've tried all natural applesauce..

Trust your gut: if your worried have him seen, if he's not loosing weight that's good.. here's a thought! it would be odd but maybe he's deciding to brummate???? I know it's not the right season but if his "wiring" is saying to do so maybe that's what he's doing I mean it's possible...

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ive wondered about brumating, but isn't he a bit young?
I will definitely start adding those things to his slurries. Where did you find dandelion and alfalfa powder or did you make your own?

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Read a separate post about a sick beardie...Any thoughts on this Repti Boost? Would it be beneficial to Bayne?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ive wondered about brumating, but isn't he a bit young?
I will definitely start adding those things to his slurries. Where did you find dandelion and alfalfa powder or did you make your own?

I got them from beardeddragon.co they have all sorts of items and powder just read the benefits of each...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Read a separate post about a sick beardie...Any thoughts on this Repti Boost? Would it be beneficial to Bayne?

Don't think there's any harm in repti boost..
Izzy at 7-9 months old went thru this period of what Bayne is doing I called it a partial brummation where she wouldn't eat, wouldn't come out of her hide, just would sleep alot.. BUT if I brought her out she would act pretty normal and would snack on a bug here or there...So she didn't fully brummate because she wasn't old enough and she didn't weigh enough that I felt comfortable letting her sleep too long. I imagine she will this fall.. sigh

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh, ok. Maybe I will just try the powders and hold off on the vets unless something else happens or he completely stops eating.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, ok. Maybe I will just try the powders and hold off on the vets unless something else happens or he completely stops eating.

Just keep an eye on him, keep record of weights, if he eats make him bask and make sure he poops so it's not rotting in his belly/gut, keep him hydrated. If he doesn't perk up or he looses weight or doesn't look good take him in for sure.. I would get a fecal done to make sure he's parasite free as you don't want them going into brummation with bugs as they can really make them sick and sadly some that have been overloaded haven't woken up.. :( Just relax and keep up on temps etc and see what he does. Like I said I took Izzy out daily to make her bask and offered her food and bath times then let her do what she wanted to do and sometimes she would stay and bask and sometimes she would go to her warm hide and nap..

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, thank you so much. I was so worried about him.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sorry for not getting back to you all sooner. I did take Bayne to a new vet on Monday.
First of all, I absolutely adored her and she praised me up and down on my knowledge of beardies, so a big thank you to all of you for the help. :)
Secondly....Bayne is in great health! She thinks that the move back to my parents may have stressed him out and put him into a partial brumation and she also believes that at his age, he may just be slowing down on eating and will only eat every 2-3 days.
That night, Bayne hadn't ate in 3 days, so I offered him some supers and crickets (he usually eats Dubai...)
Bayne gobbled up 10 large supers and 2 large crickets!!!
The next morning, he even went to the bathroom and I had no idea because it barely smelled at all so yay on the parasite side of things as well...
Also......
Because he was such a good boy, Bayne got a new 67 gal terrarium!!
He is so happy in it. Best purchase ever!
Just a couple pictures of Bayne at PetSmart:
837184efe85d9d73cc88589bc61b9426.jpg

d1e2375e5bd54cda66c0a83953704f7c.jpg

c0ece90bfc510cf1655fb47aa40263d2.jpg

He was so good there. He even let a group of little girls pet and love on him! Even a tiny toddler. I was such a proud mommy!

Bayne's new tank:
3281ca8187301da2fcb4a53727f99d1d.jpg

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would love to build some shelving in there for him to climb on, but I'm not sure how to do that in a glass enclosure. Any tips would be amazing!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Way to go Bayne!! glad to hear that he's doing well again!!!

Latest posts