• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, so today I've noticed it looks like Gojira Is coughing? He kinds lunges forward and opens his mouth like a cough but there is no sound coming from him. Is there something wrong I should be rushing him to the vet over? His tank is properly heated and the humidity is only 33%. Can someone help? I use repticarpet as a substrate. The only different thing about his cage is a new log I put in there yesterday that I got from a reptile store...

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Would he still eat like a pig with something in his throat or a RI? I mean today alone he's eaten about 25 phoenix worms, some salad, and about 5 or 6 small small dubias

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Will he let you open his mouth to look in? Lunging forward and opening his mouth seems like something is stuck but if he is eating maybe not. Do you notice excess mucous in his mouth or coming out his nose? Those would be signs of a URI. I would have him checked by a vet just to be safe.

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
His mouth looks fine what little I could see when he was chomping phoenix worms, and his nose isn't runny or anything. Could him shedding cause him to do this? I've noticed the skin on his head starting to go a bit gray and its gets greyer back towards his neck.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It could be his way of losening the skin. Luci does this crazy head roll thing when his neck is shedding, he looks like Linda Blair in the exorcist!

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
LOL. Yeah, I mean, he kinda lunges forward and stretches out his neck and opens his mouth. He's still alert, he was just trying to catch a fly buzzing around his viv. He doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere except when he poos, and is still being friendly so I really don't know what to do.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is he constantly doing it? Is it after he eats or just random? It's possible he's just trying to help a shed or he could even have something tiny stuck in his throat like a a small piece of green. I would give him a bath and let him get a good soak to help the shed and brush it gently with a soft toothbrush. Also try to get him to drink some water, if something is in his throat maybe it will help it go down.

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
He's just doing it randomly. I gave him a bath yesterday. Is okay to do it two days in a row?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Keep in mind though, like EDL said, if it is an upper respiratory infection you want to start treatment sooner than later. So a vet visit might be a good idea just to know for sure.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
LOL, I'm learning right along with everyone else! The biggest thing I learned is not to freak out over everthing. However, my frogs taught me to trust my gut, if I think it's something serious then it needs to be treated right away because usually by the time they show illness, it's too late.

Latest posts