• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with super picky bearded dragon (won’t eat greens)

Sunny lil dragon mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, so I’ve been reading through a lot of really great threads on here about bearded dragon diet and tips on getting them to eat salads. I’ve tried everything I’ve read to try and get my 5 month old beardy to eat her salads.

Here’s my problem. She will only eat two bites of butternut squash or grated carrot, and those bearded dragon diet pellets( I only sprinkle a couple on her salad to try to entice her) and the Repashy super foods beardie buffet gel mix. After two bites she turns her head away, won’t touch her greens.

I got her from Petsmart in august and based on her length (6 inches) I guess she was around 8wks old. The pet store was feeding them crickets and said she didn’t really eat any veggies yet.
I’ve been providing her fresh salads since day one of getting her. She refuses to even walk over to her salad bowl, I have to hand feed her and she will only eat the butternut squash and shredded carrots from my hand.

I’ve tried feeding her mustard greens, turnip greens, kale, collard greens, endive, bok choy, okra, baby arugula, basically everything on the list of safe to eat veggies.
Ive tried bee pollen (which she loves and will lick off) but she will only lick it and will not eat the salad that it’s sprinkled on. I tried puréed strawberry’s drizzled on top of the salad, she wanted nothing to do with it. I tried blueberries because she does seem to like those and she still managed to pick only those out and not touch the greens.

Last week I started putting her BSFL in her salad bowl, she watches me put them in and just stares at it. She won’t go over to her bowl. I have a separate feeding dish for her bugs that I put in for her Dubai roach feedings and she runs straight over to that bowl when I just put bugs in it. So I thought maybe if I put her salad in that bowl she would run over to it. No such luck she looked down from her log at it and then just looked at me like “what’s this crap, where’s my bugs” lol She’s too smart for me! I’ve never seen a bearded dragon master avoiding eating greens the way she does. Like she will push them aside, root around until she finds the bsfl and if she can’t get them she leaves them.

I figure that by 5months she should be eating atleast some of her salad daily with no problem but she has been a very stubborn girl. I put her salad in every morning at 11am. It just sits there all day untouched. No matter where I put it in her cage.
Also she’s started refusing to eat dusted Dubais. She used to gobble them up with no hesitation but now when they are dusted she just kinda picks at them and only eats a few. Sometimes she won’t even start eating them till late in the evening. If they aren’t dusted she is less hesitant and will usually eat more of them. She also has decided that she wants BSFL morning lunch and dinner, since those don’t get dusted I wonder if it’s the supplements she’s not fond of or if she just likes BSFLs more than Dubai’s. I know they say not to dust bsfls, but should I try dusting a few to make sure she’s getting her multivitamins?

Is it ok that she’s only eating butternut squash? Am I just too impatient with her? Is it safe at 5 months to try not feeding her any bugs for a day or two to get her to eat her salad or should I just keep giving her the Dubai’s and BSFL and let her only eat the butternut squash?
Has anyone else dealt with such a stubborn picky eater, what finally helped you?
I’m worried that if I don’t solve this now while she’s still young that as an adult there will be health issues if she continues to only want to eat bugs and squash.

Latest posts