• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help with dragon mating.

jack

Bearded Dragon Egg
hey guys ,
so my beardies are at that age where im starting to think of breeding for my local pet store,
however when i introduce my male and female to eachother
he BOBS stamps and turns his beard as black as black! she arm waves
he then mounts her and bites her neck , however she squirms and tries so hard to get away and basicaly doesnt lift her tail so he can mate, whats the problem here? anyone any inputs are appreciated,
thanks.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
How old is she? She's sounding like she's just not ready. Of course, if you leave them alone long enough it will probably happen anyway.

jack

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wel she's over a year. I have them in separate vivs ATM to try to reduce stress .
Should I just put them
In the same
Viv? Thanks for replying

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Wel she's over a year. I have them in separate vivs ATM to try to reduce stress .
Should I just put them
In the same
Viv? Thanks for replying
At a year you still could be pushing it, though most would be ready, not all will be ready quite yet. Some aren't ready til 2.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Just one opinion on the matter, there are some prolific breeders on here that might have better advice!

jack

Bearded Dragon Egg
saying that she is quite small compared to the male any advice on how to beef her up quickly for the season?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If she's not ready, there's not much you can do to improve the situation. Saying that, if the male is larger he can always breed her if he's wanting to bad enough. Depends on what you think is ethical. My female leatherback was non responsive to the male completely and he still bred her, even being smaller. We didn't think there was any chance we were going to wind up with babies so we went ahead and had a temporary housing situation going on with them and he was quite a bit smaller. She wound up laying :(. A larger male could easily lift up her tail with his body, I've seen it done, the female does not have to be compliant one bit. The reptile world with breeding is messy and not very pretty.

I've edited this a few times, and nothing I say sounds quite right. I hate the way they breed! If you want to force the issue you can keep them together for a few days and you probably will wind up with a gravid female. I don't agree with it, and you can wind up with an injured dragon. Now that I know better I don't keep my dragons together at all, but breeding requires a different setup. I've heard to just put them together for a few hours and separate them, but that doesn't always work. Sometimes they need a little bit of acclimation time.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It would be cool if you could just put on some Barry White & light some candles, huh? ;) I prefer to supervise everything that's going on to reduce the risk of injury & don't recommend leaving them together unless you're there. A breeding enclosure is a very good idea, something neither dragon is familiar with, neutral grounds.... Like Aleena said above "If she's not ready to breed, there's not much you can do to improve the situation. Fattening your dragon up doesn't mean that she is SEXUALLY MATURE. Be patient, try reintroducing them again in a few months or when she's at least 400 grams, bigger clutches & easier recovery on the female.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
A breeding tank is a good idea, something neither dragon is familiar with, neutral grounds.
I love that idea, Jp! Thank you for that thought :). Now, if I decide to breed again... on purpose... I have a better way of doing things.

Reactions: Jp

jack

Bearded Dragon Egg
Every time they come out for free roam he tries to mate maybe I should just keep trying until I see a proper mate happen ?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Let him go for it for a bit. She may decide she's ready one of these times. It helps if she got to brumate properly this past winter, makes the female feel more ready when she comes out of it. If she keeps turning up her nose, it may be best to put it off for a couple months. She may not be sexually mature, as JP said, and it can be too much of a shock to their system if they're forced to mate before they're ready.

Reactions: Jp