• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! UVB LIGHT ISSUE

Thunderstorm0216

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone. I need some help/advice/suggestions. We had an electrical fire in my house (in part due to our dragon's set up being too strong for the wiring). We saved all our animals and came back home but could only plug one light in and store told us Basking Light. That was 10 days ago. While we wait for electricians to come out tomorrow for new wiring, I now read no UVB this long could kill him so I switched to UVB and no basking today. What else can I do to help Toothless? My special needs daughter already lost her cat to cancer last month, she can't lose the dragon too.

Rubble1212

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would get a MVB bulb of a reputable brand like Megaray or Arcadia but it may take to long for shipping so maybe for now you may need to run to Petsmart and grab a Powersun for the time being. Your distance to the basking surface will determine what wattage you’ll need if you have 10-12 inches to basking surface then 100 watts will work and if it’s further they have a 160 watt or if it’s closer than they now make an 80 watt.

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
I would get a MVB bulb of a reputable brand like Megaray or Arcadia but it may take to long for shipping so maybe for now you may need to run to Petsmart and grab a Powersun for the time being. Your distance to the basking surface will determine what wattage you’ll need if you have 10-12 inches to basking surface then 100 watts will work and if it’s further they have a 160 watt or if it’s closer than they now make an 80 watt.
Awe so sorry to hear about your issue if its warm enough outside for them you can take him out for like 15 to 20 min or 30 if you want in the sun and thats fine or you can turn on your uvb for awhile then turn it off and but the basking up and keep switching it if you want as for the wire issue to try and avoid another problem like this you could get a surge protector with alot of outlets on them and that should help

Thunderstorm0216

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awe so sorry to hear about your issue if its warm enough outside for them you can take him out for like 15 to 20 min or 30 if you want in the sun and thats fine or you can turn on your uvb for awhile then turn it off and but the basking up and keep switching it if you want as for the wire issue to try and avoid another problem like this you could get a surge protector with alot of outlets on them and that should help
It WAS on a surge protector and the surge protector blew up and caught on fire! I've been using a basking light every day, but freaked out today when I read they could die without uvb for as little as 2 days!!

Thunderstorm0216

Bearded Dragon Egg
It WAS on a surge protector and the surge protector blew up and caught on fire! I've been using a basking light every day, but freaked out today when I read they could die without uvb for as little as 2 days!!
I meant to say Thank you for the advice. We're all just a little hyper right now, between my dialysis treatments, her cat dyjng, and now the electrical fire, we're a bit overwhelmed.

Thunderstorm0216

Bearded Dragon Egg
And unfortunately here in NJ it's cloudy with freezing rain and snow mixed in. No outside for Toothless.

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Geez sorry about the surge protector what I would do I rotate heat would be the biggest problem if it dips to low he would have trouble digesting his food and lack of uvb could cause death but in 2 days I doubt that usually other health problems occur with lack of uvb so what I would do if I where you is keep switching between the 2

Thunderstorm0216

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you

Latest posts