• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help!! Rico is Limping!!!

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
If not everyday, every other day I take Rico out of her viv for some adventure and exercise. I've noticed the past few days she has been kind of grumpy she hasn't really been eating unless it's a few bites of greens or some super worms I put in front of her. I usually feed her crickets but she hasn't been interested them..I also noticed she hasn't been moving around lately like i have been seeing..when I took her out today she was limping. It's her front right leg.. Right now she's laying on the floor of her viv. I think it hurts her to much to move.. I'm scared and nervous :(. I have two hammocks in her tank and I'm wondering if her nails got stuck and she twisted it or landed on it wrong.. Any one have any ideas what I should do?

_zee

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
Her temps are what they should be.. About 100-110 for basking and 80 on the cool side .. This weeks greens Are turnip greens bok Choy and collard greens she gets super worms and crickets.. Was worms ocassionally .. I have reptisun 10.0 for UVB.. Annu suggestions Please I don't want my poor girl to be in pain :(

_zee

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, does the limb have a apparent deformity (ex. does it have any bends or look broke or out of place)? Do you have any pictures? Do you have a good reptile vet in your area to take rico in for a check up? Its really hard to say why rico would be limping.

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
No the limb doesn't look broken but her behavior I feel is telling me it's sore or Hurt. I wrapped it in a steamed towel and I also let her soak in some warm water for a while.. She loved it.. Lapping it up like a dog then she just put her whole face in it and started sucking it in.. Which is weird because she has still water in her viv.. And she seemed really thirsty. She has an appointment with the vet on Monday.. I'm gunna try to get a fecal done too. :( I'm worried about my baby

_zee

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
If it were me I would remove anything she can climb on so as to not hurt herself further, keep her warm and if she feeds from your hand continue to do this. The water will help her make it deep enough so she can float safely and if your using the bath tub have her on the palm of your hand and hold her under her tummy in the deepest part of the water this will ease her leg. I would say it sounds like a sprain or bruising if the leg isn't disfigured so as I say the warm water will ease the muscles, plenty of rest will do her the world of good. I do hope your little girl feels better soon keep us updated ;)

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
I should also have mentioned 10.0 UVB would be much better for her MBD would be a worry for me personally if I had a 5.0 but all in all some is better than none so I'm just speculating with MBD don't take it as gospel because I'm still quite new to BD's myself :)

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
So Ricos appointment with the vet was today. She took a fecal, and its clean! She also took an x-ray of Rico's crook in her back, and of her arm... There was nothing there! nothing broken thank god.. She has a bit of scoliosis thats why her back is a little crooked but its nothing to worry about, it shouldn't affect her. Im thinking she twisted it or something, landed on it wrong.. The vet gave me some anti inflammatory medicine i have to drop on her worms or crickets for the next few days.. haha lizard drugs.. The only worry is why isnt Rico eating? My only guess is shes just being a girl. Stubborn and sensitive because she hurt herself.. haha typical. its just scaring me and she needs to quit the attitude :confused::p I re arranged her tank so she could move around more comfortably while she is healing.. and now shes sleeping under her log.. poor girl i really hope she gets better soon i hate seeing her like this.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Glad to hear the vet trip went well and she's getting medicine! Giving lizards meds are tricky indeed, or have been for me. Merlin has been real mean about it lately, biting me when I get her mouth open for the medicine, lol. I am glad that it sounds like Ricos is doing better and I pray for a speedy recovery! :)

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! Yeah it's not as bad as I thought it would be .. I put it on a worm and she eats it.. My only problem is I don't know why she won't eat anything. 1 or 2 worms. And a bite of greens.. It kills me. She just won't eat. She keeps limping.. Her arm is still bothering her.. She won't use it

_zee

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well as a friend of mine pointed out, and I think Germ said it somewhere, that sometimes they just don't eat for awhile. As long as everything else (tank set up) is as it should be, and you keep offering her food, eventually she'll eat. If she's eating 1-2 worms, then that's good. It means she still has some kind of appetite. Jethro has gone through a phase lately of not eating veggies, and sticking to crickets and supers. Gonna slim down how much insects he eats and try getting him to rely on his veggies for awhile ^.^

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im still worried. I gave her all the medicing that the vet gave me to give. She doesnt move around at all.. She sits and sleeps all day, and now her other arm is hanging by her side. If she props herself up its using her left arm and the right one still hangs... If she tore something and its healing like that (backwards) im scared that its going to stay like that creating pain for the rest of her sweet but short life. I dont know what else i can do.. two days ago she actually had an appetite for nothing but waxworms, i was so happy she was finally eating something.. i figured it would be okay since they are fatty and she hasnt really had much food.. But she wont get down and get them out of her dish like she used to.. i have to feed her with the bug tweesers.. She just doesnt get up and around the tank.. She ocassionally gets in her hammock but she struggles.. Its so sad to see. The rest of the days have been a worm here.. and a cricket there.. and maybe a bite of some bok choy of turnip greens. Gahh its so frustrating i dont know what else i can do

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ZD02; I would let her soak when you bath her as warm water always seem to ease pain. And remove anything she can hurt herself on. It will take awhile to heal as with any injury it takes some time to heal.but the soaks will deffinatly help her if she's in pain. Hope to hear she well and running around soon-river-7

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, I have been letting her soak daily, and she laps up the water like crazy.. At this point she is under her log sleeping.. facing the back wall of her viv..Now Rico is my fist BD but to me it seems to be the starting stages of brumating and its making me so nervous :(. Is it , that because of her leg and that I recently changed her old lights to new appropriate lights and moved her into a 40 gal viv.. probably mid last month.. that now she would be like.. well screw this im going to brumate and get all better? She sleeps A LOT, I got a fecal done and its clean, and she continutes to eat a few superworms when she is awake.. If she doesnt want the whole thing she will bite it in half and leave the other half on the ground, when shes in the mood for it she will devower a good 6 or 7 wax worms.. how long does brumating ususally take, im sure its different between each beardie

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Zee; i know bd's can be worrysome, but just let her be for a short time and watch her. How old is she-i seemed to have missed that=brumation= usually they are older 12-months and up but it can happen earlier, and if it does just let her be-shut off her lights and let her sleep-if it is brumation.Keep us posted and let us know how she is. bella-aka-river-7

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wel today Rico came out if hiding and was actually quite active.. She even ate today! Her arm wasn't by her side it was normal! Jeez I wish I could just get inside her head for a second to see what's going on!! Maybe she's getting better

_zee

Pat B

Super Moderator
That is very good news!! She knew what she needed to do and did it! Good luck in getting inside her head....'ain't' gonna happen! :D