• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP!!! Possible Egg Bound Female!!!!

dhm198555

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all!

This totally sux that this has to be my first post on this site but I really need some help!!!

So I've had a pair of what I thought were two female beardies living peacefully together for about two years now. On November 18th I came downstairs where their cage is to make my morning coffee and to my complete surprise caught them "doing the deed". Within a week she started acting like a gravid beardie, pacing nonstop, digging, trying to get out of her cage and so forth so I separated the two and put a lay box in her cage filled with about 8-9 inches of a sand/vermiculite mixture. She wanted nothing to do with it so I bought a large 4ft long by 2.5ft high tote and filled it half way with damp vermiculite. She dug around for a while and then just stopped and starting acting like a completely normal, not gravid, bearded dragon again. She's had all the proper husbandry stuff, uvb, calcium dusted dubia and greens everyday, fresh water, and so on. Conditions were spot on in her enclosure but just refused to lay.

On Christmas night my husband peaked into her cage and found a single egg sitting ontop on the bedding. It looked as if she was trying to poop and pushed an egg out instead. It was a healthy, fertile egg already full on red viens so I put in right into the incubator. The same thing happened again yesterday, another big healthy fertile egg, so I put that one into the incubator too.

This morning I went into the reptile room where she currently is being housed and for the first time seemed a little...off. She's still very alert and tries to eat my hand when I go into the cage but she just looks horribley uncomfortable and its moving into week 6 soon of her pregnancy and I'm starting to get worried that she may have become egg bound.

She's still eating as of yesterday and is alert but a little sluggish, she looks like a little balloon.

Is there anything I can do from home? I'm completely broke right now from the holidays and having to pay my rent yesterday I just can'y afford a major vet visit quite yet, at least until the end of next week when my husband gets payed but I don't want her to die. What can I do?!?!

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, welcome to the forums. Some females are very picky. As long as her husbandry has been good up to this point she will lay. They do typically lay 3-4 weeks after being fertilized but some do take a little longer.

1. Sand should be moist enough to be able to form a ball but not wet enough that it drips.
2. Leave her in the lay box for 7-14 days. During this time provide heat, keep the sand moist and leave her be in a room with little traffic.

dhm198555

Bearded Dragon Egg
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5022.JPG
IMG_5018.JPG
IMG_5024.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5026.JPG
    IMG_5026.JPG
    713.1 KB · Views: 22

dhm198555

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here's some pics of her, her current cage and the two eggs. I'm worried that shes a little too small to lay a big clutch of eggs. I'm just so worried, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

dhm198555

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also, do the eggs look okay? I thought you couldn't see any viens until at least a week or two after being layed but both have a BIG vien running through them and bunch of little ones branching off but I'm worried about the color.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
She is small but that should not be a problem. The eggs do look fine too.

Id recommend putting moist sand in the lay box :)

dhm198555

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks so much! That's good to hear about the eggs. Is that normal for first time mommys to ramdomly lay eggs like that? Do you mean to mix sand in with the vermiculite? That big tote she's in is filled halfway up with damp vermiculite, about 7-8 inches of it. She doesn't dig at all anymore, she really does just act like a normal, not gravid, beardie. Im so worried! I put a call into my local reptile vet to try and see if they'll let me do payments or something.

Latest posts