• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please

50Kelly50

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, so I will start off by listing the conditions of Reptar's cage and then describe the problem and maybe someone can give me some advice. I'm getting really worried.
He is around 5 inches long, bought from the petstore a little over two weeks ago. He is in a 50 gallon tank with reptile carpet for substrate. The cool end is between 80 and 86 degrees, his basking area is between 105-115. I have the powersun 100 w as his uvb bulb. His basking spot is between maybe 7-12 in away from the bulbs depending on where he basks. The lights are on a timer and come on at 8 am and go off at 9 pm. I have been putting some cut up kale that i spray with water in his tank most mornings. He always has pellets available and a water dish. I use reptisafe with all the water I use. I have been taking him outside for around 10-20 min when it has been sunny and warm. At the petstore, he always ate (I know because I work there). However, now that he is here I have had trouble feeding him. At the petstore he ate only crickets (little ones). I have offered him crickets every day. He has eaten without much trouble only about 5 of the 16 days I have had him and even then the most he ate was five. I think he has messed with the salad a few times, but not recently. Part of his tail shed last week and then he began to eat a little. He stopped eating again though and now it has been four days. Yesterday his foot was shedding a lot. Over the last two weeks I have given him a bit of baby food on four days (carrot, chicken, and sweet potato/chicken). I have bathed him in warm water for about ten min almost every day. He used to not bask, but this week he has begun to bask on his own. My main concerns right now are that he isn't eating and his poop isn't right. All that comes out is liquid. It didn't used to be like that! I do not think he should be impacted as he barely ate anything and I never gave him crickets bigger than the space between his eyes. I have noticed that recently his eyes are closed often. He doesn't really explore his cage or move around, he doesn't even bother to climb down and sleep on the ground anymore. His tail is gray at the end but I can't tell if it will shed again or if it is just not as bright as the rest of him. His demeanor has changed, but I think that is just because he isn't as afraid of me anymore. (He bit me about a week ago and used to open his mouth aggressively, but now he climbs up on my arm and lays there and he hasn't opened his mouth in aggression ever since.) If anyone has any ideas why his eating and pooping are off (and if the eyes and tail are significant) please give me some advice. I really don't want Reptar to die! Thank you! I am adding pictures of his droppings and him to look at if that will help.

Attachments

• photo(15).JPG
    photo(15).JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 31
  • photo(16).JPG
    photo(16).JPG
    8 KB · Views: 26
  • photo(17).JPG
    photo(17).JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 29
  • photo(18).JPG
    photo(18).JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 31
  • photo(19).JPG
    photo(19).JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 26

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
I'm not experienced enough to speculate on Reptar's health, but I do know that you want to not feed kale as a staple. Try collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, or something along those lines. If I recall correctly, kale has too much vitamin A.

Also, I wonder if the soft baby food isn't causing the loose stools. Watery food like fruit certainly makes Fenchurch poop puddle-style.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What a cute little guy. Temps and everything seem okay. I would have him checked by a vet for parasites. Runny poop is a sign of parasite infestation. Also, kale isn't a good staple, can't rememberror exactly but I think it interferes with their bodies ability to absorb calcium. Mustard greens, collard, dandelion, turnip greens are all good.

They also get moody when they are shedding and sometimes don't want to eat. But I think a vet check would be the best for him because of the poop. Not sure where you live but where I am, I just paid $60 for the visit and $30 for the fecal.

50Kelly50

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! I will schedule an appointment in the morning to be safe. Also, what if I cannot bring a stool sample due to the nature of them?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Try to get what you can. If he goes to the bathroom in the same spot you can put a paper towel down to catch it and then bring it in on the towel.

50Kelly50

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, the vet said his levels of coccidia were high and gave me some medicine to give him for 7 days (panacur). She also gave me some protein food to feed him with a syringe 3 times a day. He has gotten really bad all the sudden and I don't know if there is anything else I can do. His eyes are barely ever open, he won't bask, he rarely holds his head up, is dark in color, super thin, and after four days of treatment still hasn't pooped. He is limp when you pick him up. I've seen him perk up for a few seconds here and there to move himself off the branch and to the ground. He looks really bad. I've still been giving daily baths. Is there anything I am not doing that could help?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
:( The only thing I could think of is maybe a probiotic of some sort but I don't know what dosage or form to give. I've heard that antibiotics, although very helpful, can be very taxing on their digestive system. Try searching the forum for probiotics and see what comes up. I know people here have used them.

Latest posts