• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

TidalWave2143

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

my bearded dragon is named Scout and I got him back in September. I am very new to raising a beardie and I fear I might have damaged his ability to smell/breathe in one nostril. I read online that when beardie’s get boogers you get them out with tweezers. I tried but he struggled and the tweezers ripped off the outer skin on his nostril and he started to bleed. Right now it’s very stuffed and liquidy but I don’t know what to do and I feel horrible

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    922.6 KB · Views: 38

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

my bearded dragon is named Scout and I got him back in September. I am very new to raising a beardie and I fear I might have damaged his ability to smell/breathe in one nostril. I read online that when beardie’s get boogers you get them out with tweezers. I tried but he struggled and the tweezers ripped off the outer skin on his nostril and he started to bleed. Right now it’s very stuffed and liquidy but I don’t know what to do and I feel horrible
Ok so more tweezers on the nostrils--- if they get shed there you can moisten them w/ some water / spray but its best to leave them alone I have asked some one how to help w/ the nostril thing --- I dont want to give you some bad advice on this so I will get back w/ you

TidalWave2143

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so more tweezers on the nostrils--- if they get shed there you can moisten them w/ some water / spray but its best to leave them alone I have asked some one how to help w/ the nostril thing --- I dont want to give you some bad advice on this so I will get back w/ you
Thank you so much. I’ve actually called a lot of vets but none of them are available to help me and I’m just so stuck. I’m worried about him. He’s being active and alert right now in his cage but I just feel awful about literally ripping his skin off, you know?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Is the injury still bleeding?

Check to see how deep it is. If it's just a little scratch it will heal.

TidalWave2143

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is the injury still bleeding?

Check to see how deep it is. If it's just a little scratch it will heal.
No the blood became pale. He just has a lot of fluids in his nostril right now. It’s not just a little scratch, I quite literally ripped the outer skin of his nostril off

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What I am concerned about is infection -- I need to see if what I was thinking to use we can actually use --- I will let you know --Thankfully it isn't a bad wound, a dab of honey might help or just letting it heal on it's own. Be kind but remind them that beardies know how to shed without us helping. If it gets infected looking , swollen, etc they might need antibiotics but it looks like it's O.K. I was thinking the honey as well --- so this is what my person told me -- checking about the fluid thing

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Remove anything in the tank that might irritate it and clean the injury as well as you can. Increase his cage temperatures temporarily to help him heal.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What I am concerned about is infection -- I need to see if what I was thinking to use we can actually use --- I will let you know --Thankfully it isn't a bad wound, a dab of honey might help or just letting it heal on it's own. Be kind but remind them that beardies know how to shed without us helping. If it gets infected looking , swollen, etc they might need antibiotics but it looks like it's O.K. I was thinking the honey as well --- so this is what my person told me -- checking about the fluid thing
It can produce fluid when irritated, they just have to watch for infection. So watch for swelling etc

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So... he’s going to be okay as long as I put honey on the nostril and watch it?
Dab it on there --- it will prevent infection --- just watch it so it doesnt become infected but the honey will help w/ that -- honey is a antibacterial -- it is used for many different things on dragons along w/ reg neosporin betadine lamosil reg saline solution are most commonly used things on dragons --

Latest posts