• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help needed on a client review

ChrisJWalker

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
These questions are based on building a vivarium for 2 bearded dragons, if you could answer these questions it would be of great help.

What would the best size tank?

Would a two storey vivarium be any use?

Would a cabinet to store stuff in above or below be any good?

Do you have difficultly cleaning out you vivarium?

If yes what would make it easier?

Is a vivarium better with more glass than wood better?

What new ideas would be good to add to a vivarium, if any?

Whats the best way for the doors to open? (e.g. Slide or hinge)

What is the best for the substrate for the vivarium?

How much heat does the heat lamp have to give out?

How much does the uv light have to give out?

If there was one way to make your experience easier as a reptile owner to do with the vivarium what would it be?

Whats the best shape for a vivarium or is the rectangle shape they mainly are enough?

Does a digital temperature gauge help?

How much ventilation is needed?

Do you like the look of vivariums?

If no how could they be made better?

What is the best finish on a vivarium?

Thanks alot for your time,
Christopher Walker

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow that’s a lot of questions this will take all day but let’s start, First you should not keep two together they tend to get stressed and if it’s a male and female it can be very bad for the girl.I use a 36''x 24''x 24'' cage some are plastic some are melamine the wood does seem to hold heat better.
As for cleaning we keep it simple but for the normal Pearson with one or two dragons i would use a tile bottom it is easy to clean and good to keep their nails filed.
A lot of your questions are personal preference that you will have to figure out I will try to answer the ones that will help you take care of your dragon.
For heat A bulb big anough or close anough to give a basking of 100 to 105. I use a 60 wat.
For UVB a Reptisun 10 at 8'' from his basking spot.
Ok are you planning on getting a Dragon? Or are you building a tank for someone?

ChrisJWalker

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No it's not my choice on the questions it for a dt project I am planning on doing by creating a vivarium with new features and trying to work out what is needed for a basic vivarium and what I could add to make my project better and hopefully get my a level.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok great well I'm not miuch of a viv guy so i will let some of the other members help you today might be a slow day just keep checking back . What is a dt project?

ChrisJWalker

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks alot, I have posted on a few forums just cause I need alot of reviews in such a short space of time and will give me a better range of ideas. Well it was a freedom project so you could choose what ever I wanted and thought to create a vivarium would be a great and original idea and plan to make a top quailty one out of the best woods and mod cons as have 300 pound to spend on creating it and a year to make it in.

ChrisJWalker

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It's a design technology course basically wood work and it's my full years course work to create something.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That’s great Have you thought about getting a dragon It will help you see all the different aspects of their care and housing

ChrisJWalker

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a mate with a pair of them thats where the idea for creating it for two came from so I could make it and say it was for him and like examine his viv and all of his stuff and thought when I have finished I might get one or two to put into the tank.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I tried 2 edit my last post & accidently deleted it. oops!

ChrisJWalker

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hahaha, it's fine JeffO I was wondering why I had an email but it said there was an error. Out of curiosity what was your last post?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Chris,
I agree with what Bill said about housing 2 dragons 2gether, they can be very territorial & it can add stress 2 both animals(Especially the female.) If you are designing an enclosure for 2 dragons you might want to consider a split design that separates the 2 dragons. Using hinged doors or sliders both being options for the design. All woods for your design should be sealed, the oils in some woods can be very harmful/fatal to reptiles. Ventilation is very important for air circulation & mostly depends on design & size. Using a mesh top for lighting to set on is very functional but if you are mounting the lights to the inside of the enclosure then plenty of vents should be installed in the walls & lighting should be out of reach. Bill's recommendation on temps are very safe & should be considered for your design. The measurements 36x24x24 that he gave you should also be considered (per dragon) for your design. Opinions will vary between breeders & collectors when it comes to substrate & for the most part is personal preference, as well as temp gauges or temp guns.

Hope this helps

ChrisJWalker

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi JeffO,
Every forum I have posted this on has agreed with don't put two dragons together, I am only creating to vivarium for my a-level coursework and will only be put into practice if I get a beardie or I sell it on after it has been assessed. I do not plan on putting 2 together I just plan to make one big enough to fit two of them into. I only wrote the questions for some research I'm doing into vivariums and I've had alot of messages saying about they will not answer the questions cause I'm been nasty putting two together when all I wanted was them just to answer them as will help me complete my a-level. Also I have a friend with a pair of dragons in the same cage and they seem fine I'm just wondering if they are under stress or anything I need to tell him about or does it only happen in certain conditions?
Thanks for your Help

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Chris,
I'm sorry that you aren't having much luck with this. Owners get pretty upset sometimes when it comes 2 dragons (animals in general) and a healthy environment for them to grow up in. Alot of owners do house their dragons 2gether & may not have any issues whatsoever but it still isn't advised. One of those dragons has to have the dominating role, it's in their DNA. Not every animal has to be violent to intimidate the inferior & cause stress. This is what some people do not understand or do not care about. It's very upsetting to see a dragon missing it's tale or entire foot because of improper housing or unsupervised breeding.
The above information that was given to you about enclosure sizes, temps & design should be able to help get you started on the project.
Good luck

Latest posts