• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thorn's Mama

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon Thorn is a two year old female. She is currently laying eggs (infertile) for the third time. No issues with the eggs whatsoever. The problem, in short, is that she's digging so much that she has almost no nails left.

Thorn has been digging in her enclosure for about two weeks now, and her nails have been filed down to the point that I can't even see them on most of her toes. Also, the scales are now being filed down and appear blackish grey. There's no irritation, and no bleeding. She's acting 100% normal. For substrate, she has about a half inch, (soon to be much more) of sand. Below that, it's just the wood bottom of the tank.

I want to know if anyone else has experienced this or has advice. I can take a picture of her feet if needed.

DJ Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
A bearded dragon should never have sand as substrate! It causes impaction and clogged femoral pores, and is one of the #1 causes for health issues in beardies. Try to see if having only carpet/tile on the bottom of the tank stops her from digging. Hopefully that will stop her from filing down her nails so much.

Thorn's Mama

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've done a sufficient amount of research about having sand as a substrate and made the choice to incorporate that into her habitat. She had carpet when she was younger, but dug so much that she tore it up. Digging is a natural and healthy behavior for bearded dragons and I'm not trying to stop her from doing that. She's had sand for about a year and has suffered no consequences. In fact, she seems healthier and happier than before she had sand. Thanks for your input and I'm glad to know that you care for beardies very much. I've already made the choice to use sand and done plenty of research. Impaction is really only a risk with babies and maybe juveniles, not adults. I'm afraid that I won't be swayed on this topic but I appreciate your input.

BeardiesForever45

Hatchling Dragon
If you want a "Loose" substrate easier on her nails, I would not recommend sand! I would get reptile-safe dirt, packed tightly. This can work and if she were to get impaction, it would be a very low chance if it is packed right.

Latest posts