• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! Minute bump on dragon's back.

Brandon Parkinson

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a juvenile bearded dragon named Django, and I noticed he has a small bump on his back. It's only been there since yesterday, and I'm not entirely sure what it is. If anyone knows, some help would be awesome. I'm new to keeping beardies, and I hear they're good for beginner reptile keepers, which is what I would like to get into. His diet consists of dusted crickets, mealworms, and sometimes superworms or hornworms. I give him greens when he agrees (vet says he declines them since he's still a juvenile.) His basking spot is a 75 watt basking bulb, and I have a UVA/full spectrum bulb as well. Tomorrow I'm getting a UVB bulb for him, too. He's in a 40 gallon tank and is handled regularly and taken outside to enjoy some natural sunlight, and also bc his pretty colors show well. I also bathe him in warm water up to his chest regularly to keep him hydrated. So far I've not had any issues with him at all that are out of the norm except this, and since this is the first weird thing it concerns me LOL. So if anyone can just fill me in, please do. Included is a picture of the bump.

BIgBEtMCEAA14Zx.jpg
BIgBCJ8CUAEN-m_.jpg

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, that is an odd shaped lump. Personally i would take your little one in to a qualified herp vet to take a looks at it (xrays, possible sample analysis). Could be a growth of some sort, cyst/abscess or possible broken bone, just guessing here...

Pat B

Super Moderator
I agree with Gillie....a vet trip is probably going to tell you what is going on. Make sure your vet is qualified is reptiles. Beardies will eat greens from an early age although my Spike has never eaten them....fussy eater. Make sure your temps are good 110 on the basking side and about 80 - 85 on cool side. Definitely a UVB bulb....10.0. Good luck and keep us posted....btw....Welcome to BDF!!:D

Brandon Parkinson

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't know if you guys get updates from me just commenting but we are going to the vet's office tomorrow! The bump has remained, and it's even gotten smaller. He hasn't showed any signs of stress at all, so I'm pretty sure it's just a little bumpy bump: nothing to worry about/it'll pass. But I'm taking him tomorrow just to be sure, and for a nice check up. :)

Brandon Parkinson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update: Django is all good. The bump is nothing to worry about, the vet said it'll go away in a few weeks bc it's just a fatty deposit. I also paid for a well-rounded checkup- blood work, checking for parasites, salmonella, etc. The vet says he's really healthy though so that makes me happy.

Really bad picture bc I took it on photobooth but there he is having a snooze and buckling down for the night. :D

Photo on 4-27-13 at 11.15 PM.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
So good to hear your Django is good to go!! These little creatures sure can cause us owners to worry! :)

Latest posts