• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! Is this scale rot?

kaya.sensi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Helllo, I have some concerns about my beardie, Betty is 12-14 years old, I’ve had her a few years now and have never seen anything out of the ordinary with her, everything seems to be perfectly normal with her except for this gray spot I noticed on her tail today. I’m not sure how I didn’t notice it sooner… it is definitely not shed. her energy levels and appetite have not been affected, in fact she’s had a ton of energy lately. I just mounted her uva/b bulb a bit higher and I was thinking that was why she’s been extra active lately. The only thing I know we’ve been doing differently is my boyfriend has been adding a water dish in her enclosure everyday, and she was really enjoying it it seemed but I suspect this is what’s caused the scale rot(if that’s what it is) she’s runs in and out the dish throughout the day and now that I’m thinking about it, this has made quite a damp environment with her splashing the water everywhere.. etc. raising the humidity… my mistake 100% didn’t consider this fully.

I’m scheduling a vet app. tomorrow morning, I have stripped and sanitized her enclosure, which has proper humidity and temperature now
Is there anything I can do, can someone please confirm or deny in the safety of using a diluted betadine/antiseptic as a soak or applying neosporin.
I’m very concerned and want to help every way possible as soon as possible :(

Attachments

• E7B3DD80-BCDD-4A26-BDEE-2EB83D118CB0.jpeg
    E7B3DD80-BCDD-4A26-BDEE-2EB83D118CB0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 296A9E90-D01F-474D-99EB-29E40AFD26BB.jpeg
    296A9E90-D01F-474D-99EB-29E40AFD26BB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 8F24B6EC-CB64-4CED-81CD-C8D31F291087.jpeg
    8F24B6EC-CB64-4CED-81CD-C8D31F291087.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 24C10038-2D27-47FA-A2C3-453F64C6DFBD.jpeg
    24C10038-2D27-47FA-A2C3-453F64C6DFBD.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • FABF7C7C-DEBE-49AC-89A4-07D6F6E65D9F.jpeg
    FABF7C7C-DEBE-49AC-89A4-07D6F6E65D9F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 134FA910-FD8D-4C01-B167-9F7576F804AE.jpeg
    134FA910-FD8D-4C01-B167-9F7576F804AE.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 9F2D72CD-EF46-4F6E-B7F6-AFDB6DBB6B21.jpeg
    9F2D72CD-EF46-4F6E-B7F6-AFDB6DBB6B21.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • F913A7DD-89D3-499C-BA15-60B988B8A396.jpeg
    F913A7DD-89D3-499C-BA15-60B988B8A396.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Helllo, I have some concerns about my beardie, Betty is 12-14 years old, I’ve had her a few years now and have never seen anything out of the ordinary with her, everything seems to be perfectly normal with her except for this gray spot I noticed on her tail today. I’m not sure how I didn’t notice it sooner… it is definitely not shed. her energy levels and appetite have not been affected, in fact she’s had a ton of energy lately. I just mounted her uva/b bulb a bit higher and I was thinking that was why she’s been extra active lately. The only thing I know we’ve been doing differently is my boyfriend has been adding a water dish in her enclosure everyday, and she was really enjoying it it seemed but I suspect this is what’s caused the scale rot(if that’s what it is) she’s runs in and out the dish throughout the day and now that I’m thinking about it, this has made quite a damp environment with her splashing the water everywhere.. etc. raising the humidity… my mistake 100% didn’t consider this fully.

I’m scheduling a vet app. tomorrow morning, I have stripped and sanitized her enclosure, which has proper humidity and temperature now
Is there anything I can do, can someone please confirm or deny in the safety of using a diluted betadine/antiseptic as a soak or applying neosporin.
I’m very concerned and want to help every way possible as soon as possible :(
Boy I am not sure let me get some help-

kaya.sensi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Note - in some of these pictures the tip of her tail and the gray spot I’m referring to look black - it looks much darker in the photos, and I wouldn’t say they’re black in natural lighting… it is definitely gray.
-i have no reason to think that she could of sustained an injury, burn, smash/ stepped on, or harmed her self from something from her enclosure or another animal or child. She does have a few rocks in her enclosure and wood but nothing sharp or placed where it falls / or could smash or burn her…. her tail doesn’t not seem sensitive to touch…
Will update anything else worth noting

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Note - in some of these pictures the tip of her tail and the gray spot I’m referring to look black - it looks much darker in the photos, and I wouldn’t say they’re black in natural lighting… it is definitely gray.
-i have no reason to think that she could of sustained an injury, burn, smash/ stepped on, or harmed her self from something from her enclosure or another animal or child. She does have a few rocks in her enclosure and wood but nothing sharp or placed where it falls / or could smash or burn her…. her tail doesn’t not seem sensitive to touch…
Will update anything else worth noting
Here is the reply she sent
I have since sent the last response from you to her
It doesn't look like it. Looks more like a burn, is there any way that could have been burned by a heat rock or something else ?

kaya.sensi

Bearded Dragon Egg
She doesn’t have a heat rock,
I recently just got a new deeper domed fixture for the heat bulb and I relocated her basking spot in her enclosure recently, I’m not here all day watching her everyday, though I am in the room with her very often, I haven’t seen her be able to get to the hot bulb but I guess that might be a possibility, definitely not impossible, very unlikely and seems really bizarre of a place to be burned.
- last night I soaked her tail in warm (very)diluted betadine /water (for 5 minutes) rinsed and pat dried. ( she was sleeping and did not mind a bit) before I did this I noticed a little bit of yellow crust looking on some of her scales , kind of like it’s oozing Slightly… and this was gone after the soak.. I did not have any neosporen without pain relief so that is all I’ve done
-I do let her roam around my room sometimes (no other pets) and I’m unaware of any possibilities for injuries (I believe is slim but never impossible)
It does appear to be more of an injury / burn than rot at first glance (was my first thought) but I’m struggling to figure out how..

kaya.sensi

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don’t have pictures of how it was before I took it apart and sanitized it last night but i can set up similar to take photo.
And yes you’re right about the shape, it is very distinct. I have seen her once climb up into a weird position behind the heat fixture with her arms/hands on the rim of the tank once when I first got it and was still positioning things in her enclosure(picked her up immediately of course) but I guess if she really wanted to I think she could of done that again while I wasn’t in the room (from her basking area). It is a deeper dome, and I had her basking area about 9 inches from the bottom of the rim on the fixture and thinking about it… she could reach it if she stood up all the way
and I guess that age because when I got her I was told she was supposedly already 10 and that was in 2017

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
—-but I take that guys word on her age lightly
Here is what she has recommended

She may have climbed up and perched in such a way that her tail rested on the dome just enough to cause a burn. You can use silver cream from a drug store or unpasteurized honey on it. Soaking it is a 2 edged sword because if there is open wound, contaminated water can get in it. Once the dragon enters the water it's basically contaminated.

kaya.sensi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so avoid soaking the tail , baths, and water dishes for now and I will try unpasteurized honey first

thank you so much for getting back to me

Latest posts