• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help!! (cut on leg)

Jess.MarksWife

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a bearded dragon (Norman is his name) and my husband noticed today that his leg has a cut on it and can see the "meat" inside. He just shed his whole body the other day. He's never been VERY active other than when he get a his crickets and mealworms. He usually is just basking under his heat lamp. So I'm wondering if anyone has seen this happen before, what can cause it, and what do I do about it? After researching, My husband says yellow fungus?

Attachments

• 20170718_212912.jpg
    20170718_212912.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 222

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a bearded dragon (Norman is his name) and my husband noticed today that his leg has a cut on it and can see the "meat" inside. He just shed his whole body the other day. He's never been VERY active other than when he get a his crickets and mealworms. He usually is just basking under his heat lamp. So I'm wondering if anyone has seen this happen before, what can cause it, and what do I do about it? After researching, My husband says yellow fungus?
Ouch poor baby... looks like he got "hung up" on something and it got rubbed raw.. This is something that you should have him seen by a reptile vet to keep it clean and not infected... If let be he could loose the leg or get a bad infection that could end up in the bloodstream.. So vet time for Norman

It is NOT yellow fungus that typically starts at their vent and turns yellow crusty area that spreads...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much. Will a betadine soak in the tub help?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Yes it will help keep it clean dilute it to the color of a weak tea..
however it's at the crease of a joint so it will keep opening as he moves that's where a vet will be of help

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with Hdrydr31. The betadine soak will help clean it but a vet really needs to look at it, it looks very deep. I don't know if it can be fixed though, he might have to lose the bottom of his leg.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry but I am concerned about that too Patsy.. Please keep us updated!!

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
What about Cricket's biting him. If left in the cage they will eat a bearded dragon

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jess.MarksWife

Bearded Dragon Egg
What about Cricket's biting him. If left in the cage they will eat a bearded dragon

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
He doesn't give the crickets a chance to bite him. He eats at least a dozen in about 2-3 minutes. He's very quick to get them, and it's so entertaining for my family to watch!

Jess.MarksWife

Bearded Dragon Egg
Aww, look at them. I wonder if my beardie would like a hammock. I need to find one and see.

Jess.MarksWife

Bearded Dragon Egg
So you only have one light for each. When we got ours, they advised us that we need 3 diff lights. A heat lamp, a day lamp and a night one like a black light. No wonder why our electric bill is high [emoji23].

Latest posts