• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

ABP1983

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone. My wife and I went to the pet store yesterday, mostly because they got a new batch of Oscars in and I wanted to check them out. She wanted a bearded dragon, so $200 later we have one. It's only his second day home, so he's still a little shy and skittish. Our biggest problem so far is keeping the temperature in his cage up, since its naturally cold in our bedroom, we have a ceramic heater fan blowing on his cage, also one of those heater pads underneath, and his lights. We have a few things coming in the mail, a temperature regulator for his lights, and a night light (I think). He doesn't like to eat in front of us yet, we put half a blueberry and some crickets in and he won't touch them, but we will come back a half hour later and everything is gone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping cage temperature up? I think the regulator will help a lot, still looking for other ideas.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
At the bottom of my comment is a link to some good general bearded dragon information from how to feed to how to set up a tank.

First off, no under the tank heater. Bearded dragons sense heat from overhead and they know that heat comes from light overhead so they will search for a warm white basking light. They don't sense heat on their belly so an under the tank heater could burn them. Colored lights hurt their eyes and at night colored lights will disrupt their sleep cycle. If the tank drops below 65 degrees at night then use a ceramic heat emitter to get the temps up to around 70-75degrees.

Make sure when you feed it bugs to make sure you don't let the bugs free roam the tank all night, they can bite a bearded dragon.

Also make sure that you use a tube style UVB bulb. Coil bulbs will hurt their eyes and compact fluorescent bulbs only concentrate the UVB into a small area of the tank and you really want it to cover about 2/3'rds of your tank.

Take a look at the link below and if you have more questions we will be happy to answer.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
*addendum to PatsyB*
If you use Tapatalk the link doesn't show up, just hop on the Web version of the forum and the link will be visible. Lots of great infornation!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts