• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! Just introducing our little man...

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello ;) I'm new to the forum (as of today) and wanted to introduce myself and my Beardie. He is a 2 year old male, about 18". His name is Salvador ('Sal' for short). We adopted him from a local family - their son got him when he was 7 and now he's 9 and would rather play with his iPod than his lizard :-\

He is our first Beardie, but we are not totally inexperienced as we have a friend in TX who breeds them and have also read tons of stuff before adopting him. Sal came with a 55gal aquarium, however, we purchased a custom made enclosure that is 48" L x 19" D x 24" H.

Since coming into our home on the 23rd, he's been eating good, basking (and actually was even gaping for a short period of time the other morning) and has also had a bath. He's an absolute sweetheart, and my husband and I are both terribly attached to him already.

Having done a lot of research, including going to local reptile specialty shops, rescues, breeders and reading lots of forums and web pages, it seems there are a lot of points that everyone agrees on (don't feel mealworms to babies or juveniles, don't have babies or juveniles on sand, etc.) there are also a ton of points (like the optimum basking temperature, which some say is as low as 95F while others say as high as 115F!) that people disagree on. It makes it rather confusing! I am hoping to learn more from everyone here and get some more insight so we can make the best choices for our little man.

So, without further ado, this is Sal ~ we're in Portland, Oregon, by the way!

Sal012.png

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
wecome and sal looks like a real nice beardie lovin it up there on his log
paul

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome !!

Handsome man you got there...and it does not take long for you to fall in love with them ;D

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you very much for the welcome and for the information! I'm probably one of those people who reads WAY too much ;D I just want him to be as happy and healthy as he can be!

SalandMeDark.png

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cuddles goood... too much reading.. not bad ;)
Just remember to take everything you read with a grain of salt...
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome. Sal seems to have adjusted well to his new home. Handsome little guy. Congrats.

You can drive yourself crazy with all the info out there. Use your common sense to weed out the bad from the good. That's one reason why my hubby and me started our site. We were reading way too much and everything was do this or your beardie will DIE. I was obsessed at the time.

Relax, get the basics down (temp, light, food, substrate, baths), and you and Sal will have a great time together.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Hi and welcome. Sal seems to have adjusted well to his new home. Handsome little guy. Congrats.

You can drive yourself crazy with all the info out there.... We were reading way too much and everything was do this or your beardie will DIE. I was obsessed at the time.

Yep, this is me right now... lol! I went through this with my dog when he was just a tiny puppy (now 5 years old - time flies!) and again with our rescue dog we adopted last April. It's hard when you don't know an animal's history to know what is normal for them. We've already talked to our local reptile shop twice today and once yesterday - they are so patient and nice but I am sure they know us by name now ::) My poor husband is like "sorry to call again but my wife is worried about X, Y, Z, etc". :D

Anyway, thank you. I was talking to Sal today and petting his head and he tried to 'catch' my bangs that were dangling down by his face. It was so cute ;D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Haha. Sounds like the two of you are bonding very nicely. Feel free to ask away here. There are plenty of resources who are well seasoned in bearded dragon care.

Latest posts