• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Canada

CanadianBeardies

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi there!
We are the proud owners of two baby beardies 'rescued' from a pet store! We were told they are girls, so for now their names are Esther and Lucy. I have them both in the same cage, but if you read my post under health and care, you will see my concerns about Lucy. She is tiny, has a floppy foot, and has recently stopped eating crickets. I am sure she is shedding, has recently been moved and is generally pretty stressed. I can't afford another whole viv so I am really hoping they can live together, at least for a few months. Lucy is 6" nose to tail, and Esther is 7.5" Esther has already shed once in the two weeks we've had her and appears much larger. I am hoping for advice and support here. Our last beardie died because I believed something I was told without checking it out and he was poisoned. It has taken a long time to get our confidence back and prepare ourselves properly so we can make sure these 2 have a long healthy life!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How Do ! We'd be more than pleased to help you folks choose correct feeding, lighting, heating and separate enclosures for these two babies... May we have a picture.... paleeeeeeeeeeeeeease ? lol...
Glad you found your way to us...Welcome !
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome to our forum. Glad to have you here!

That is wonderful that you saved the little gals from the pet store. I do want to note that beardies are not social creatures and often have horrible ramifications when housed together. If you can't afford a new viv for a couple of months, you can try separating them with a piece of cardboard in the center of your viv. You'll need to make sure both have basking areas and proper UV.

I'll refer you to two of our articles. One is related to general bearded dragon care and the other regards housing multiple beardies together.

Bearded Dragon Care

Housing Multiple Dragons

CanadianBeardies

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome! We will post pics as soon as we can, but we have slooow dial up and it is pretty painful uploading or downloading anything:) Great idea about the cardboard. They are in a big tank and that is totally doable. I have lots of climbing apparatus for them and room to do that while they are so little. I will let you know how it goes..

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
welcome to the forum ;D
i just read you other topic sounds like your little one had a bit of relo stress, but you will need to seperate them as the only time they usually meet antother beardie is when they mate and if they take a dislike to the other beardies will fight to the death. i rescued a beardie and a black lined plated lizard off a bloke who had them in the same tank and told me they were brought up together and never fight etc etc this wasnt true as when i sat there and watched them one day the beardie was stood on top of the other baskin after this i noticed the plated wouldnt come out of his cave so i ended up taking the plated to the local special needs college who do small animal care and i go there ever tuesday to see how hes gettin on and hes a totally different lizzard now living life to the max. so splitting them will make a large differance to your little beardie as the bigger beardie will take most of the food and the highest baskin spots youll find that the smaller one wont grow as fast as the other and become very timid very fast which will cause stress which in turn and be fatal i dont want to worry you with it, on the other hand i know someone whos had 2 females together for years never had a prob but its best to be on the causious side.
how old are your beardies?
how big a viv they both in ?
what uv lighting are you using?
what are the temps? and variation temps hot side and cool side?
how many time you feed them daily ?
what size crix you feeding them?
what suppliments are you giving them? and how many times a week?

sorry for all the questions it just helps us help you,
good on you for rescuing a baby beardie from a store cos they never look after them or treat them right im glad s/hes gone to somone who will do their best to give her him best of care.
paul

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
egg 80 said:
welcome to the forum ;D
i just read you other topic sounds like your little one had a bit of relo stress, but you will need to seperate them as the only time they usually meet antother beardie is when they mate and if they take a dislike to the other beardies will fight to the death. i rescued a beardie and a black lined plated lizard off a bloke who had them in the same tank and told me they were brought up together and never fight etc etc this wasnt true as when i sat there and watched them one day the beardie was stood on top of the other baskin after this i noticed the plated wouldnt come out of his cave so i ended up taking the plated to the local special needs college who do small animal care and i go there ever tuesday to see how hes gettin on and hes a totally different lizzard now living life to the max. so splitting them will make a large differance to your little beardie as the bigger beardie will take most of the food and the highest baskin spots youll find that the smaller one wont grow as fast as the other and become very timid very fast which will cause stress which in turn and be fatal i dont want to worry you with it, on the other hand i know someone whos had 2 females together for years never had a prob but its best to be on the causious side.
how old are your beardies?
how big a viv they both in ?
what uv lighting are you using?
what are the temps? and variation temps hot side and cool side?
how many time you feed them daily ?
what size crix you feeding them?
what suppliments are you giving them? and how many times a week?

sorry for all the questions it just helps us help you,
good on you for rescuing a baby beardie from a store cos they never look after them or treat them right im glad s/hes gone to somone who will do their best to give her him best of care.
paul

Now in this case the issue was not only multiple housing but also multi-species housing.

As to the OP I wont make a judgement flat out on your chosen housing arrangement but I will tell you that there are more dangers that come with housing multis than there are pros. at the size they are at it is highly possible that one or both may be miss-sexed and two males will not coexist long. If it is a male and a female when that male starts hitting puberty he will mate her or try and it will most likely result in the other dragon being injured. The main point of concern is the size difference. The cardboard splitter is a great temporary but you will need a second viv soon enough. just keep that in mind.

BeardieGirl

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welsome to the form! I am from canada aswell! So howdy eh ! ;-) Hope u get the help u need for ur girls! I have a girlie myself!