• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating Questions.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My house temp is pretty high today..naturally 27-28c.. If I put the basking light on the temp in hot side soars upwards to like 44c and basking hotter than that..I know to keep the tube UVB light on(this is a Exo-Terra Repti-glo 10.0 25w tube). I've changed the temp for the CHE.. it'll pretty much never come on unless house is at 16-17c.. is there anyway i can ventilate the viv to help regulate the heat in there as it's being a bit of a rollercoaster. Pics above for type of viv and basking rock under the basking light properly now for more accurate reading.
it does look like you have much ventilation at all. you can make those rear vents larger and buy some larger vent covers at home improvement store. the best way would be to open up the top a little and let the heat rise out. other than that your looking at buy a vent fan and thermostat. basking spot for juvies can go from 110 to 120f and cool end should be 80 to 85f. as they get a little older the basking spot should be between 105 and 110f.

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok , well atm my warmer end averaging 36.6c.. basking now settling in at 43-44c n cool end at 31c. So all but the cool end is sorted. i think maybe the lid lift could work maybe. the viv has those connectors that are a disk in one side with a screw that goes in and you turn the disk.. not really wanting to cut big holes in my viv.. lol ( my DIY aint that good!) lo..Ohhh.. my boyfriend said there maybe a way to unscrew disks, lift lid a few mils and wedge a thin scrap of wood in the gap to keep it open. :) thanks! Is the UVB I got gonna give sufficient D3.. it's a 10%UVB 33%UVA tube i believe.

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
got a new basking light, as basking spot was soaring upwards to mid 50c's.. new one now roughly 42.3c - 43c cold end 27-29c

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i use mega ray bulbs from www.reptileuv.com but you have to have a well ventilated(screen top) enclosure to use them. they provide heat and uvb all in one. if you are using fluorescents beardies will need a 10.0 bulb. that will give sufficient uvb so their bodies can produce the D3 they need to break down and absorb the calcium. its kind of a pain getting everything set up just right the first time but once you do.....hooooray!;)

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i use a light bulb and a uvb so when it gets to worm in there cages the thermostat turns of the bulb by that time they have basked for many hours

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yeah the UVB is a 10.0. and i've lowered my basking bulb to a 40W. but as today is a scorcher the basking spot is at 45.6c but coming down as it's only been on for about 15mins. it'll settle at the above temps soon.The wamr end averages at 33.3c. And i'm gonna erm raise the roof on the viv at cool end. lol.got a new basking log which now sits roughly 8" from the lights. It has 2 bits.. a thick section near basking lamp and a forked section near UVB. So i think the heating should be all where it should be now:)

Latest posts