• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating question - just setting up, not warm enough?

Bigbadbeazer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, just bought Vivexotic Ex48 which is 48"x18"x24" and taking it one step at a time I have made a stand, assembled the vivarium and before thinking about decor, accessories and the beardy himself I want to get the heating and lighting right. Lighting is fine, got a 3' uvb tube and for heating got a 100w red heatlamp in a ceramic reflector fitting and a good Microclimate B1MHT 'stat which I have read is the right sort of equipment and power. However, putting it on for about 3 hours to test it I am finding the temperature is only reaching about 80 at the warm end and 70 at the cool end. Do I need further heat? The room could drop to about 60 in winter and is currently about 70 in this poor British excuse for a summer!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcometoBDF2.jpg

To start with, BDs thrive on Bright White Light (UVA), so I don't recommend the red heatlamp, but rather a white or clear bulb. 10 years & I have never used a thermostat. At night the temps can safely drop to the mid to low 60s F, any lower & heat will have to be supplemented just enough to take the edge off. Night lights, no matter what color, black, blue, red, purple, whatever, will bother most BDs at night, so if night heat is absolutely necessary, a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) is recommended, screws into a regular socket like a bulb, provides heat but no light.

You will definitely need to raise the temps, the Hot Side or Basking Temp should be measured directly at the Basking Spot where the BD will sit to bask, usually the closest point that the BD will have access to the heat bulb. Once setup & the proper temps are achieved, it will find that spot. The location of this Basking Spot, generally a raised area, must be within 8-10" of the UVB bulb. Here is a pic of a basic setup, not near as nice as your enclosure, but gives the required temps, etc, and an example basic layout, just for kind of a reference.
Example of a Basic Setup: Showing the recommended Basic requirements, proper Temperatures & the points at which they should be measured from, in Red & the optional choices that are actually used in this particular example enclosure, in Black.
If it is your intention to get a young BD, I recommend that you furnish the enclosure sparingly for the first 2-3 months, with just the necessary basics. Then dress it up later. Cluttering the enclosure, while making it aesthetically pleasing to us right from the start, will stress the youngster, give the feeders places to hide making it difficult for it to stalk & catch it's prey. They only need basic furnishings, the rest is all 'Glam' for our visual pleasure. Just a heads up there.

Here are some links that you may find helpful in answering the majority of your questions with good solid info, that can be trusted, unlike much found on the web today ...

Bearded Dragon Basic Care Guide

Exclusive Bearded Dragon Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

Cohabitation

Good Luck

Bigbadbeazer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thankyou very much for such a quick and comprehensive answer, the diagram helped. There is a lot of info out there, not like tropical fish where you buy a heater for your tank size and that's it! So would you suggest the basking lamp on a timer for daytime? And as the thermostat I have bought allows setting of day and night temperatures separately would it be sensible to use this to control the non light emitting additional heater I am now getting so it supplements the basking lamp in the day and takes the chill off at night when needed.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I recommend both The Basking & UVB bulbs on timers, mine seem to like 12\12 On\Off. The scenario for the thermostat on the CHE sounds like a good plan.
icon_thumright-1.gif

You are welcome, anytime. :)

Latest posts