• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat/Light bulbs ??

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
What happened to the days you went to the store and just bought a light bulb ? :rolleyes: I want to change my heat bulb and put some extra light on the cool side too because its kinda dark at that end. I have a 40 gal breeder with a Reptisun 10 tube. I am currently using a Zoomed basking bulb 75 w . I want to try a household bulb or a flood light but there are so many different kinds on the market i dont know what to get . Its really getting frustrating ! :mad: For my heat i wanna try a flood light . Ive seen flood lights that have a coil bulb inside them , thats probably the wrong kind right ? Some flood lights have a cover over the bulb that is bumpy or textured ?
043168818629.jpg
8a3162dc-d0bd-4018-adfb-ec11e3b94afa_400.jpg
These 2 bulbs have a textured cover. right or wrong bulb ?
043168111270.jpg
043168630054.jpg
043168787987.jpg
046135111754.jpg
I also found all these ? Need some advice please ! For the cool side because i only want light and no heat what kind of bulb for that. Thanks : ) Michelle

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I use the GE indoor halogen floodlights 75 watt like in your 2nd pic on our Mungi's 40 gallon Breeder tank enclosure but my basking light is suspended 8-10 inches above the screen from a PVC light rack that I make for my enclosures. A 55 watt will work fine with the light lowered but at the time a 75 watt was what I ha on hand.
You will have to experiment a bit to find out what wattage you need to get the correct basking temp depending on the ambient temp in your home.
For the cool side of his enclosure I use a 13 watt florescent bulb just to add some ambient light on that end of the enclosure which produces no heat. The cool side light is not necessary however but we use it because it helps with the live video feed that we stream on the net.

Hope that helps:)

Enjoy!!

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Mungi !!! Ill get a couple diff watts and see what works best. Wish my son would make me adjustable light stand. For your 13 w is it a coil fluorescent ? Going to be cleaning out her tank on sunday, new sand and washing everything so i want to get all the supplies at once.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Mungi !!! Ill get a couple diff watts and see what works best. Wish my son would make me adjustable light stand. For your 13 w is it a coil fluorescent ? Going to be cleaning out her tank on sunday, new sand and washing everything so i want to get all the supplies at once.
The 13 watt I use is a little coil type...another one that works pretty good are the low watt bulbs that are used for stove vent hoods..the last one of those I used was a 10 watt.
The adjustable light racks I make are just made out of scrap 1 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe that I had and a few fittings, a couple of 1 foot pieces of wooden dowel rod and a couple of 12d common nails for the adjustment part. They take about 15 minutes to cut and put together and dont require any gluing. Really easy project that I feel certain you could sweet talk you son into making for his Mom( hint...my Mom would always have a pot of Gumbo on the stove when I got there if she needed "a project" taken care of... Us Cajuns can't say no to Gumbo...LOL):) If interested I can post some pics of one tomorrow when I get a chance so you can show him what you want.

Enjoy!

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I just bought an extra stand from Petco on Clearance for $7.00, I did not need it now but it was so cheap. I cannot hardly wait for the Repticon to come to me next month...whoot

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Ozzie thats a Great price ! I never find deals . Mungi thanks for all your help with the lighting its greatly appreciated !!! And yea i would love to see some pics of your set up.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I'm new here but you may want to check out LED light fixtures at AutoZone, O'Rieley's, Advance Autos, ect. auto parts stores. LED's emit little to no heat. And when I say little heat, I mean you can hold the bulb to your skin and it MIGHT get luke warm. LED's are bright so make sure you never use them during the BD's 10-12 hr sleeping cycle. Just thought I would add some info on no-heat emitting lights. Oh, and the best part about using LED (for lighting purposes only) is that they do not use hardly any electricity either. Your electric bill would not be effect but by a few pennies a month by adding LED's to an enclosure. LED's also have the longest life span of any bulb. Some of the simplest LED's last around 1.5 million hours of use. Hope this helps.

Latest posts