• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat lamp for night

lonzo2020

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all,

I have a young beardie a little less than a year old that has been in constant brumation for the last few weeks. Vet has recommended using an infrared heat lamp at night to keep the temps from dropping too drastically. Right now the low in the tank is about 68F at night. I was under the impression that they could handle that kind of temperature overnight. Anyone have any experience with infrared lamps or any recommendations?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,

I have a young beardie a little less than a year old that has been in constant brumation for the last few weeks. Vet has recommended using an infrared heat lamp at night to keep the temps from dropping too drastically. Right now the low in the tank is about 68F at night. I was under the impression that they could handle that kind of temperature overnight. Anyone have any experience with infrared lamps or any recommendations?
NO infrared lights --- your dragon should not be brumating at under a year old unless he is over 300 grams --- please go over the UVB and the basking temps ---- something is off for your dragon to be brumating --- he should be active basking eating and pooping ---- if your using a coil UVB this could be a reason coils are inadequate for UVB's ---- basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby and 95-100 for 6 months or older ----taken w/a digital probe thermometer and those are surface temps NO air or ambient temps --- basking bulb should be a CLEAR bright white bulb NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoyidium bad for the eyes NO colored bulbs NO off white or yellowish bulbs -- you want a bulb that gives off UV -- and it needs to be clear bright white example Exo Terra Intense basking bulb --- or a Zoo Med Repti basking bulb --

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Infrared can make them go blind, if you need to raise the heat at night get a ceramic heat emitter. Its a heat bulb that does not produce light.

Latest posts